Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

Article about: Nice finds. Lovely little brass item Steve T

Default Re: New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

Hi John,
    Thanks for posting the spoon, very nice AM marked. Its good to see you've started tackling your finds to be cleaned mountain. It must be exciting because with so much waiting you must have forgotten some of the stuff so it'll be like finding it again.
    My gas sign has cleaned up well I'll be posting pictures of the cleaned stuff soon, its funny because the other one I found that was in much worse condition was found at the Lancaster base site we visited with Steve.
    All the best.
    LS

Here's some of last weeks finds cleaned up.

I know Ive shown these type of things before but still no one has any idea what they are. When I cleaned these I noticed that the lettering is coloured in red. The second picture shows another type that's been burnt but this one says Distress G etc? I'm hoping this may help with an ID. Could they be a British version of something like the US 'Gibson Girl' emergency radio transmitter?

A brass Ground lighting lamp ring nicely marked A.M.

A couple of unidentified pieces, the bracket with the rubber holder perhaps held wiring sadly its unmarked.

A hefty lump of alloy tubing with an interesting shape could it be a small inline filter perhaps for fuel or hydraulic fluid. Not sure if it says 120 (ie P82 North American) or 12Q?

A nice well marked alloy bracket retaining much of its paint. I cant id GAL BT.

When I first found this I thought it was perhaps some sort of cover for an oxy bottle or perhaps even Fire extinguisher, But Im now wondering if it's actually part of a larger aircraft Horn. Sadly I cant find any markings.

Sadly this accumulator battery has seen better days but still worth showing, whistfully I think it would have been nice if complete showing the painted manu date of Jan 1944. But its also amazing it was only for 2 Volts, it seems a big battery for such a small output.

Thanks for looking.

more to follow

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Last edited by LUCKYSTRIKE; 08-22-2011 at 09:57 PM.

The first picture is out of order and appears last.

A few unidentified pieces, perhaps the tubing is a small section of oxy mask tubing? The circular brass object is marked B on the top.

I'm very pleased to have found this arrowed GAS direction sign in quite good condition, Ive found a couple of others at another site in the past but they were very rusted examples. I assume this came with an anti gas kit and either sign posted the direction to where it was held or perhaps to a shelter. Have you seen them before?

What I particularily like is the manufacturers name S.O.T.B. Co. Ltd sadly I cant find who they were but I like the date of manu Oct 1938

An old large aluminum OXO tin poor condition (going for scrap) and a couple tooth paste tubes.

British water bottle.

These next three items intrigue me? they were all found quite close together and all are made of brass. The first one is marked Pull Up and Turn Right it also retains much of its grey blue paint. The other two item's also appear similar in design so could they be the tops of different types of Fire Extinguishers?

The last picture show's the spoon sadly its not WD marked, and of course the 'nit' or Moustache comb.

Thank you for any help.

A few more still to come

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..  
    Last edited by LUCKYSTRIKE; 08-22-2011 at 06:03 PM.

The last few.

I think these reflect the good times at the Mess , A Grants 'whisky' label that clipped to the neck of the bottle and a nice brass but unmarked ash tray.

An alloy nut AGS Aircraft General Standard but would the F stand for perhaps female or front. Quality stamp is marked R.

A couple of unidentifed pieces, could the rectange piece that was originally silvered or chromed (most has corroded off) be the remains of an emergency signal mirror or for that matter shaving mirror?

Quite a long piece of unmarked riveted aero alloy that's interesting because it retains part of a rubber baffle on the rear. Perhaps to exclude drafts around say a cockpit or turret or even an expansion joint. Do you have any idea?

5C cap off aircraft electrical plug or lamp.

Thanks for looking.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Good job with the clean up as always ! Love the gas sign real beauty

?

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    5C cap off aircraft electrical plug or lamp.

They look very much like the flip-up shields fitted to push buttons operating fire extinguisher, starter, prop feathering systems etc.

From the stores code and the design it looks to be an earlier pattern to the built-in type usually seen.

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE
    A brass Ground lighting lamp ring nicely marked A.M.

This appears to be the surround for a coloured filter that fitted onto a signalling lamp, as seen HERE.

All the best,
    PB
    Last edited by Paul B; 08-23-2011 at 05:56 PM.

?

A nice well marked alloy bracket retaining much of its paint. I cant id GAL BT.

GAL normally indicates General Aircraft Ltd.

All the best,
    PB

?

An alloy nut AGS Aircraft General Standard but would the F stand for perhaps female or front. Quality stamp is marked R.

AGS 904 is the specification for a series of Pipe Couplings (Aluminium Alloy), Outer Sleeve, best known as Union Nuts to most people.
    AGS 904/F is for ¾" outside diameter pipe, the coupling having a ¾" BSPF internal thread and being 1.2" across the flats.
    The lockwire holes should be 1/16" ID.

All the best,
    PB

Hi Paul,
    This is amazing I spent ages trawling the net for ids on my finds but could find nothing like the detailed information you've provided. Im in awe thank you once again for your replies.
    Ps I spoke to Steve T as I pmed you and he's all for it so just drop him a pm and come along in Sept.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Just spotted you have another example here:

Looks like an AGS 904/B, E or F, for ¼", ⅝" or ¾" OD pipe respectively.

PB

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast