Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

Article about: Nice finds. Lovely little brass item Steve T

Default Re: New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

I had a few hours search this weekend and here's the result.

I'll let the pictures talk,

except to say Im very happy because Ive been after one of these for ages.

Yipeee well pleased...

A little later and another

A bit more digging and another eek thats 3

and then yet another but this was the last of them, 4 in a row ...

Here's the finds from the day..

An enameled sign marked Air Raid (perhaps shelter) sadly missing much of the enamel and in front is an Oxygen Regulator plate.

odd bits that need a clean to hopefully id.

and perhaps a very relic Oxy mask tubing?

Thanks for looking.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Last edited by LUCKYSTRIKE; 08-24-2011 at 10:43 AM.

?

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    The item top left is an MT electric windscreen wiper unit, as viewed from inside the vehicle. I had the same type on my Bedford QL.
    The wiper shaft itself would protrude back through the hole with a backup hand-operating knob, while the lever was the on-off switch.

PB

LS

Superb exhaust ports ! I am really pleased for you The flattened ends are very interesting as mine, if you recall, retained their precise round shape at the end. Have you tracked down which aircraft they could be from yet ? The flattened ends certainly means they are not from a P51.

Really nice oiler bottle you've found as well

Steve T

Hello Paul,
    Top marks yet again 'A windscreen wiper box!' well spotted mate, I'd assumed the piece was aircraft related.
    Now I'll see if I can find a picture of one in use on an airfield vehicle of WW2.

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your reply, there are two for each side and I think they are regarded as the longer Merlin Exhaust manifolds so were from bomber mounted Merlins. I'm pleased to say all are in fairly good condition still retaining the stamped markings and two have the number 983 which is Mosquito (all numbers 98 are Mossie) .
    I think all were dumped new, there's no sign of wear like some of yours and I can make out traces of hand written chalk/crayoned numbers across at least one.
    (I'll bring a couple over when we come up to compare with yours)
    Cheers.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Well done with the exhuast manifolds!! cracking finds! Looking forward to seeing how the enameled sign cleans up

John

Hello LS - it looks like Paul B has already ID'd a lot of your new parts, but i'll try and add my tuppenceworth if that's okay.

I think item 93 is a modification - I cannot find any reference to the code 'canary' in any wireless or radar publications, but I really think it is related to one of these emergency systems - i'll ask around.

96 (right) is Mosquito - it's related to the engines (it has an L prefix). I think the item to its left is also Mossie, but can't prove it

98-99 is from a Lancaster (12Q - prefix for piping on the Lancaster)

100 - as Paul B says, GAL is General Aircraft Ltd. They made gliders so it's possible its from a Hamilcar or Hotspur

111-113 are fire extinguisher components as you say - the first two don't look like they are military aircraft fire extinguisher parts - more likely for commmercial use.

Hi John,
    Thanks mate, sadly there's not much enamel left on the sign but its obvious what it says. I'll post the pics when I put the next interesting bits on.
    Hi Elliot1940
    Good to hear from you, Thats great stuff thank you for confirming the Mossie parts and especially the Lanc piping, I'm surprised with this but very happy and to top it off a piece of a glider even if it is small. There's certainly an interesting mix of finds coming from this site. Thanks for all your help.
    All the Best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Most of the finds have now been cleaned.

A quite heavy cast iron switch plate? marked AEW Ltd, I tried googling this but couldn't find a match?

An interesting and well marked piece of aero alloy, does number 108 mean this is from a Mitchell III?

The enamel sign, what a shame so much is missing it originally said 'AIR RAID WARDEN' I also found the remains of the gas mask near by.

A brass object unmarked but retaining a fair amount of its paint, any ideas from its shape could it perhaps be the end of a torch?

A clip on cap like top 6 inches across, that still retains some of it's original surface green paint and internally a bluey grey. It appears to be unmarked but I cant find any pictures of one in use. Could it be the top of an ammo tube say for a mortar or perhaps the back of a lamp or even a thermos flask top? can anyone confirm?

This is a strong piece of a heavy steel like hanger or hook, could it be a part of a bomb racking mech?

This was also found in the same hole as the hanger above, it still has the remains of aero alloy skin to its top where it was attached. At the top the thin section with the nut has been bent out of position. I wonder could this also be a part of the racking?

A quite large piece of plexi glass that is painted on the outside surface.

A nice Oxygen regulator plate, the attached link shows one (scroll down toward the bottom) SpitfireSpares.com - warbird oxygen.
    But the one shown differs in that it is a MK IIIA but this one is marked MK IIIA C. Does anyone know what the C means?

The final item of this post is a heavy solid piece of alloy, The first picture shows it with and without the caps off the tubing.

Its sadly in poor condition but does show a dial noting 45 Degrees.

It has a few readable markings which is quite amazing considering its condition. But hopefully someone will recognise what it is.

Thank you for looking.

a few more will follow

LUCKYSTRIKE

Brass but unmarked, perhaps the back of a lamp housing.

Here are the Mosquito Merlin exhaust manifolds, all are well marked in different formats and a couple still retain chalked/crayoned markings.

The first two are from the left hand side of the engine.

The second two are for the right hand side of the engine.

A couple of unidentifed pieces, the top one if made of formica.

This box was just lying on the surface. When found it was very rusty but a bit of hard work and it cleaned up a treat to reveal the nice marking. 10C is Radio Chokes, Capacitors and Inductors.

Could this be a value from oxy tubing?

An alloy lid, sadly it has no markings.

and the last picture is unidentified but made of quite a thick aero alloy. Do you have any idea what this could have been.

Thank you for any help you can give.
    Best Wishes
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Congratulations on some more nice finds Luckystrike

121-122 - Gloster inspectors stamp, Hawker looking part numbers. I'd say Hurricane/Typhoon/Tempest

126-127 - Not a universal bomb rack part, but some aircrtaft did use type specific bomb racks as well as UBRs. (i.e. Halifax and Lanc)

129 - The cosmetic differences were superficial - the Mk VIII C has 'Emergency' engraved on the dial on the left, that's all. The Mk VII C O2 regs were designed to be used with oxygen economisers and the Type E oxygen mask

130-133 - Dunlop brake relay valve - use on most RAF aircraft (mid/late/post war).

135-139 - nice exhaust stubs!

140 - pity there's no number - I found a similar formica piece at a dump a few years back, I thought it may have come from a Lancaster

141 - wireless choke

142 - that flange is for a coolant pipe. Most likely a fragment of engine, (although could be a chunk of thermostat).

Hope that helps

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast