Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

newbie, finds from RAF dump

Article about: few pics of finds from a RAF dump, this my first post so hopefully the pics have come out ok.

Default newbie, finds from RAF dump

few pics of finds from a RAF dump, this my first post so hopefully the pics have come out ok.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture newbie, finds from RAF dump   newbie, finds from RAF dump  

newbie, finds from RAF dump   newbie, finds from RAF dump  

newbie, finds from RAF dump   newbie, finds from RAF dump  

newbie, finds from RAF dump  

Default Re: newbie, finds from RAF dump

Howdy Chopper, wow looks like you've got a realy good dump. What aircraft were stationed there? Great finds,keep us posted on any others wont you?
    Simon:-)

Hello Chopper205,
    Welcome to the forum and what an entrance you've made. You got some great finds there, I love the RAF mug. Its good to see the Merlin manifold gaskets and asbesto's engine mounting pad ( but I'd give this a couple of coats of matt varnish to make it safe).
    Your site is looking very productive and the sight is superb so already looking forward to seeing what you find next.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

cheers guys, not sure what the item is in pic 1 thought it might be a gun sight but who knows, the spoons are mark AM and dated 1938, its not a big dump as the airfield/museum is still in use, and is mostly domestic waste. but the dump is not onsite. got 2 more sites one in kimbolton and the other in steeple morden. steeple morden has not been touched but not sure if its diggerable as where it located. kimbolton dump my dad took me their when i was younger and i found a americian dog tag, mess tin, loads of 50 cals but think it as had a lots of 60's rubbish dump on top but might give it a go tomorrow. i have also got loads B17 parts from a crash site which i will try to put some pics up tomorrow. have only just got back into ww2 relics as normaly metal detect for coins, but its amazing whats still about.

Well what can i say! for a first post. Thats some really COOL! sutff , Love the naffi cups, Raf cup & plate plus the posion bottle and the spoons, forks, sight peace and the coke bottle

John

ian
    ?

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    Hello Chopper205,
    Welcome to the forum and what an entrance you've made. You got some great finds there, I love the RAF mug. Its good to see the Merlin manifold gaskets and asbesto's engine mounting pad ( but I'd give this a couple of coats of matt varnish to make it safe).
    Your site is looking very productive and the sight is superb so already looking forward to seeing what you find next.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    RR gifen not merlin bolt holes are miss placed for melin hows it spelt gryphen oh well see sig

So went to kimbolton the dump is not digable as it's had tons of concrete rubble put over the whole area which is a big disapointment but I have a new location to check tomorrow and if I find it will put some pics up. Does anyone have a idea what the gun sight could be from.

af1200524
    ?

Where exactly at Kimbolton is the dump site in relation to the old RAF base? Is it legal to just dig at old RAF sites? I am in the US Air Force and id love to dig up some history.

Hi Chopper and welcome to the forum.

Before this thread goes any further, can you just confirm please that you are getting landowners permission to dig the sites you're visiting?

Also, please be careful digging or taking relics from a crash site. These are protected by the military remains act and I wouldn't want you getting into trouble.

As to your finds, very nice indeed. The 'Steeple Morden Strafers' are well known to me and I have been to the site previously. The farmer used recycled household waste at some point as a fertiliser as the majority of the site is full of tiny bits of tin foil and cans. As LUCKTSTRIKE has pointed out, give the engine mounting pad a couple of coats of varnish as it is an asbestos compound. Also, the Merlin engine exhaust stub gaskets have a wad of asbestos between the brass plates. If any is showing through, varnish them to be safe.

Cheers

Steve T