Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

No wonder we get a bad name.....

Article about: Hi all I had a spare couple of hours the other day and decided to visit one of my old haunts, and one that has produced many finds over the years. I must admit, I'd not detected the site for

Default No wonder we get a bad name.....

Hi all

I had a spare couple of hours the other day and decided to visit one of my old haunts, and one that has produced many finds over the years. I must admit, I'd not detected the site for a good 18 months as I was getting less and less detections each visit. It was close to the point of being cleared out!

Anyway, I went to an area that I had never managed to reach before due to the number of brambles and other noxious plants blocking access. These had all died back and I was able to reach the area and started detecting. Then I saw the first one........a perfectly cut square hole and a clod of earth to the side of it. I looked around. The whole area was full of detectorist's holes, every single one of them left unfilled. Clods of earth were strewn all around the area, with some quite deep holes left unfilled, waiting to injure the unwary. To add insult to injury, there was also a couple of soft drinks cartons, one even IN one of the holes they had left!! I rang the landowner but he had not given anyone permission to dig the land since my last visit 18 months ago. The holes appeared quite fresh, with some less so. He was not very pleased to say the least, but I promised him I would fill the holes and take the rubbish away. He thanked me and is going to ask his employees to keep an eye out for any digging activity.

This is a first for me, coming across the evidence of black-diggers. I don't expect to have sites that are just mine.......after all, it's a free country. But when arse-holes like this turn up, don't bother getting permission, and don't even bother filling their holes......well. I couldn't possibly say how I feel in this public area.

Black diggers. Scum of the earth.

Steve T

mpw
    ?

I sympathise with you Steve. I have been refused permission to go on land because of the previous antics of 'black diggers/night hawks'. The strange thing though, talking to a local farmer that was not happy due to risk of his live stock getting injured in the open holes, if they had bothered to ask permission they would have probably got it. Too lazy I guess.

Mark.

That's a lot of stuff in life. There are always some A-hole(s) that manage to F it up for everyone else.

nicely put helmtone.

?

Black diggers. Scum of the earth.

Steve T[/QUOTE]
    Are you talking about Australian aborigines ?
    I agree with you buddy.

the worst one i saw was on youtube i forget what the video was called but they guy dug up a large antitank mine and the guy picks it up and looks at it all confused then just throws it out into the bush and walks away i seriously wanted to reach through my screen and punch him

Sounds like that idiot deep digger dan.

Sad to hear this is still going on. This often happens on Archaeological excavations, or used to and many arch units now have to detect sites and excavate artifacts in advance of the night hawks, which is not the best way to do it, as it is better to excavate them stratigraphicaly.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.