Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Norden bombsight data plate from 8th airforce base

Article about: WOW! WOW! WOW! That plate is an amzing find! Well done with the tags and all the other bits ! Keep us updated John

Default Re: Norden bombsight data plate from 8th airforce base

WOW! WOW! WOW! That plate is an amzing find! Well done with the tags and all the other bits ! Keep us updated

John

?

Thanks Denny, I'll try and get some. Thought it had been lost in the mists of time.

piperl4
    ?

Default Crinkle Paint Hint Norden parts

After spending dozens of years restoring antique aircraft the art of crinkle finish is just that an art. If you read the instructions and follow them you are almost bound for failure. Heat is the answer and just the right amount of it. I always put a base coat of crylon black under what is going to be my crinkle finish. Then while that is still a bit tackey you spray on a good wet even coat of the crinkle paint. Then you can put it in the hot sun to dry or use a hair dryer and just keep going over it and over it evenly till all the sudden you will see the crinkle appear. The tacky surface below lets the crinkle finish slide a bit making it more course that you would get with the crinkle paint on it's own. The thicker the surface the more the heat is required. Anything thicker than .032 its a good idea to let it sit in the sun for an hour first to let it warm up. You will be amazed how professional it looks. I have done entire instrument panels this way and after ovr 150 Piper Cubs with the Carb Heat and Fuel wells that were crinkle and a good 50 prewar Cubs that the entire panel was crinkle I have made every mistake known to man on it but this really works. I prefer crylon paint but others may work as well. I am doing a Noden site small plate for the data plate over the electrical connections this weekend. Then I am going to tackle the Log holder. I have 2 norden sights but need a stabilizer if anyone knows of one. I have over 30 M1 Garands that are mint if anyone like to trade. They all have brand new USGI barrels and USGI bolts and all new internals. Some have original stocks some CMP stocks. I also have dozens of parachutes but still collecting. I hope the hint on the paint works as it has worked for me for a very long time. Oh by the way resist all TEMPTATIONS to handle the part for at least 24 hrs as it is actually still tacky below the surface. I have also made that mistake
    Dave Henderson Henderson Aviation 0N6 Felton Delaware

piperl4
    ?

I cannot beleive all that you found. The Dog tags are they from victimes or survivors as I know you cherish them and will give them the respect they deserve. I served 2 tours in Viet Nam and went down on my 2nd. I went back in 1994 to the crash site and we found a few peices of metal and parts of the rotor blade but nothing to big but that was ok as I found someting to remember the 2 that did not come home. I am sure if they were Casualities the Military at Dover AFB where I live would know what to do with them. I do know there is a protocal for that but beleive me I am not suggesting in any way what to do as you found them. You did a teriffic job of digging and I would love to but thanks to Agent Orange I have ALS and Breast Cancer. A guy with Breast Cancer would you beleive that.

Hmm, The paint I have purchased has good instructions on it for use of the paint. I do the same, heat it in the sun or use a heat gun. Good detailed explaination of how to succesfully use wrinkle paint. I have restored over a hundred Norden bombsights and have had good luck with the wrinkle paint if heat is used. Any more items form where you found those parts?
    Denny

WoW! Gotta love the EM cap badge. Very nice. This would have come of the early style peaked cap, before the flat garrison cap style replaced them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2