Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Normandy finds from last weekend

Article about: Few finds from last weekend in Normandy. All ground finds or found with the trusty Garratt Pro-pointer in hedgerow. Normandy July 1st 2012 (4).jpg All in known Fallschirmjager position facin

Default Normandy finds from last weekend

Few finds from last weekend in Normandy. All ground finds or found with the trusty Garratt Pro-pointer in hedgerow.

Normandy July 1st 2012 (4).jpgNormandy finds from last weekendNormandy finds from last weekendNormandy finds from last weekend

All in known Fallschirmjager position facing US 29th. Cases all German and found on top of the black leather items.

Leather has stitiching holes. WW2Hunter has managed to identify the tool as from a K98 Grenade Launcher kit which makes me think the leather items were the pouch (thanks Steven). Probability rest of the kit may still be deep in the hedgerow?

Normandy finds from last weekend

As for the small spherical object with 'chocolate orange' type segments – no clue whatsoever!.

All ideas welcome!

David

Default Re: Normandy finds from last weekend

Quote by billers View Post
    As for the small spherical object with 'chocolate orange' type segments – no clue whatsoever!.

David
    Hi David

What size is the chocolate orange?

rgds
    m

Ping-pong ball sized. Weird but looks period and found along with other items. Billers

That chocolate orange reminds me of the French gas ampoule grenade used in ww1, but I think it is too small from what you say.

Or, maybe some kind of shrapnel from a larger piece of ordnance? The way it splits up into segments makes me think that.

Hey David,
    I don't want to "Jump the fence(post)" on this one .
    But I agree with KradSpam on the "Chocolate salty Balls" (I realy need a break from work )
    They look like scrapnell, maybe from a canister shot?
    Cheers,
    Steven

No ofFence taken Steven! I've searched every source I know but no further forward. Just one of this strange bits of metal that sits in the garage and remains a puzzle.