Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

North Wales Anti-Tank Beach Defences

Article about: Just returned from a lovely weekend in North Wales at Morfa Bychan, Black Rock Sands near Porthmadog. While walking in the sand dunes near the beach I came across some Anti-Tank defences, I

Default North Wales Anti-Tank Beach Defences

Just returned from a lovely weekend in North Wales at Morfa Bychan, Black Rock Sands near Porthmadog. While walking in the sand dunes near the beach I came across some Anti-Tank defences, I assume from 1940 when we (British) were under immanent threat of invasion. I am thinking these were placed here in case the Germans decided they were going to launch an invasion from Nazi sympathetic Ireland at the time ???

I can find no reference to these on the internet?
    Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture North Wales Anti-Tank Beach Defences   North Wales Anti-Tank Beach Defences  

North Wales Anti-Tank Beach Defences   North Wales Anti-Tank Beach Defences  

Great to see these. There are lots of WWII defences along the west of Wales and some further inland.

Some info and links on this thread that might be of interest to you.

Digging a WW2 stopline in Wales
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks, will have a read now

I have just remembered that I spoke to a caravan owner while I was taking the pictures, he had a tank defence in his rear garden of his static caravan, he mentioned there were far more defences built further south at Fairbourne, if you go on Google maps, they can clearly be seen !!

I holidayed there once as a kid but missed those, I would have had a great game of war with my friends if we had seen them !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Nick

Yes its a really nice place if the weather is good ! I may have a trip down to Fairbourne later in the summer near Barmouth, there are lots more sturdy defences there !

Cheers