Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Old find finally ID'd !!!! POW tag.

Article about: Hi all I am sure some of you will remember this; This was found on an old USAAF base in England that, after the war, was used as a transport hub for POW repatriation. It was found on July 27

Default Old find finally ID'd !!!! POW tag.

Hi all

I am sure some of you will remember this;

Old find finally ID'd !!!!  POW tag.

This was found on an old USAAF base in England that, after the war, was used as a transport hub for POW repatriation. It was found on July 27th (my birthday ) 2009 and nearly ended up in the bin. I was just tipping junk away following cleaning of finds from the day when, literally as it slide down the tray into the bin, I noticed a feint 'B' in the mud covered object. I took it back inside and carefully un-folded the metal as much as I dare without breaking it. When cleaned, it revealed the above.

I tried and tried to get it ID'd and even at one point thought it had something to do with Glen Miller !!!! I reasoned that the 5 digit code was an aircraft serial number and, when I searched, it came back as the serial number for the Norseman Glenn Miller was in when he disappeared !!!! However, this soon got discounted and the tag has remained in my collection. I knew it wasn't any member of personnel on the allied side as I had the roll list for the base. So, I assumed it was from a POW but got no further than that.

I recently joined an American MDing forum to promote RRPG and was contacted by one of their members, Lerenfort, asking me if I had IDd it because, if not, .......................... HE COULD !!!!

I have today received the info from Lerenfort and would like to thank him for finally IDing this little piece of WW2 history.

This is what he said................

When Axis forces were taken POW by the US Army they usually went through a number of processes, from initial searches and interrogation at the point of capture until their final incarceration in a POW camp, either in UK or in USA etc.

Therefore they were issued with a POW tag, which showed in which Theatre of war they were captured, their nationality and their individual number. Their number was simply numerical and is not coded.

In other cases, such as Josef Scheib he was NOT processed by the theatre system but was transported directly to the USA and in his case was processed through NW Command, probably Canada.

Therefore your tag can be disciphered as:

8 = NW Commnand
    W = This shows that he was NOT processed by theatre command.
    G = He was German!
    70424 = He was the 70,424 POW to be processed by NW Command.

I am not only gobsmacked but also terribly grateful to Lerenfort for his help IDing this object. Its position in my cabinet is being changed to reflect its importance !!!

Cheers

Steve T

Default Re: Old find finally ID'd !!!! POW tag.

Nice one!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Nice that a mystery has been solved, but Glenn Miller?, I think your a bit of a Chattanooga Choo Choo, drinking from a Little Brown Jug, wearing a String of Pearls if you ask me!!!

Well, the number on the tag matched the serial on the aircraft so I did get excited for a while. Even searched American enlistment records to see if I could find Mr Scheib. Not so much of a stretch really, given that the base I found it on had a 'Hanger Special' Glenn Miller gig just before he disappeared..........so there

What a fascinating story! Really interesting mate and great that you actually found this item yourself.

Great stuff Steve and great info on the ID, Im assuming Lerenfort is the same Guy that runs the superb WW2 virtual museum website?. Good to know he can help in case you get anymore in the future
    Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Thanks sandgroper

And yes LS, it is the very same chap. I am hoping he will post a picture of the tag on his museum

Steve T

Very cool!

Steve,
    It deserves being shown and would fit in nicely with the section on British POW camps and finds made. I'll look out for it on the next update.
    Nice find.
    LS

Excellent news matey!!! I must get out MD'ing with you one day

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast