Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Old Merton Lines Bros Ltd. workshop.

Article about: Hello, Kuro here. I (and a couple other friends) Wanted to know a bit more about the Lines Bros Ltd. Toy workshop that was later turned into a STEN Mk. II Facory. Things I wouldn't mind know

KKurosan
    ?

Default Old Merton Lines Bros Ltd. workshop.

Hello, Kuro here. I (and a couple other friends) Wanted to know a bit more about the Lines Bros Ltd. Toy workshop that was later turned into a STEN Mk. II Facory.

Things I wouldn't mind knowing:

Where is it?

Is it still around?

Any facts we need to know of?

Thanks in Advance!

~KKurosan

Default Re: Old Merton Lines Bros Ltd. workshop.

http://www.museumofchildhood.org.uk/...ines-bros.-ltd.

There ya go!....

Edit... for some reason the link will not work, just search Lines Bros Ltd. Toy workshop on google .

Here's part of the article.

Sten Guns and Gliders (1939-45)
    During the Second World War Lines Bros. Ltd. stopped making toys and concentrated all their efforts on production to help the allied war effort. Approximately 7,000 people were employed to make a range of military hardware, including 14,000,000 magazines for Hurricane and Spitfire aircraft, as well as shell cases, land mine cases and special optical apparatus to help troops see in the dark. Walter Lines also re-designed the Mk. III Sten Gun, making the Mk IV lighter and reducing the amount of material required for its production. Over 1,000,000 of these machine guns were produced at Merton. Also produced, and in part designed by Joe Mansour of IMA Ltd., were four different types of gliders, used for target practice and laying smoke screens, two of which were powered by solid-fuel rockets.[10] The Merton factory was itself partially bombed in 1940. King George VI visited the factory at Merton to inspect the munitions production as part of the war effort on the 10 June 1941 and the Duchess of Kent also visited on 28 May 1943.

More information here.....

THE STEN GUN

You should be able to find the location of the factory through a simple web search

2 seconds of searching found this.....

Have a go. It is surprising how easy it is to find info on the place.

Quote by Steve T View Post
    2 seconds of searching found this.....

Have a go. It is surprising how easy it is to find info on the place.
    Yeah, only problem is the link does not work, as Gunny said before !

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Yeah, only problem is the link does not work, as Gunny said before !
    Yup this is true, i've just noticed if you type Lines Bros into the search box next to the museum of childhood logo the article comes up!....

LOL !

I suppose the point here is that the information is easy to find if you take 10 seconds to look

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Yup this is true, i've just noticed if you type Lines Bros into the search box next to the museum of childhood logo the article comes up!....
    Yeah I tried the link myself a few times, tried editing it, and looking at the scripting of the page, I think its a HTML issue in the page itself

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Yeah I tried the link myself a few times, tried editing it, and looking at the scripting of the page, I think its a HTML issue in the page itself
    Oooooh you clever sod!...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast