Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?

Article about: Last year I was lucky enough to dig this Panzer hatch from Normandy, in the area known as the Falaise Pocket. I thought it would be an easy job to identify which vehicle it came from. But I'

Default Re: Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?

Hi Tom,

The hatch is not off a jagdtiger,sig hetzer or any kind of halftrack or artillery piece that i've been looking at the last couple of days, but i could have missed something.

Enclosed, a hatch on a jagdpanther and another on a Brummbar, but neither seem close. They were the nearest i could find beside the contested Stug III / IV hatch.

Going to try captured and modified French and Czech armour next, Hotchkiss etc, but it's getting to being a long shot i'm afraid!

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?   Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?  

This topic had me hooked.

I knew I had seen these shapes before somewhere so I have searched hard to find something that resembles these angles but I took a slightly different approach and looked for internal shots to try to identify the locking lugs that are pretty distinct.

I am 99% sure that this is indeed the plate that houses the main gun sight on a Stug 3. Check out the second picture here.

PanzerAce.net Forum: STUG III interior Ausf G

?

Thats GOT to be it! Everywhere we looked, we kept comming back to the Stug. Every Stug photo I checked had larger panels, none this small. There must be different shapes for different models.

?

awww......it's not the same. But I still think it comes from a version of a Stug

Wow guy's I really appreciate all the research you've been doing into this, Baby teeth.. that Stug site with the pic's is superb and the hatch does look very much like the one shown. My hunch is it came from a Stug, as Neil said after checking so so many armoured vehicles we always end up coming back to the Stug.
    All the very best, thanks again.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

LUCKYSTRIKE, it's no problem, i really enjoyed the challenge.

If you needed any more evidence i have found some and I think you will agree it shows beyond any doubt that what you have is the half plate that sits in front of the commander’s coupler that holds the cover with the gun sight port.
    What confused me to start with is that your piece did not seem to show any damage or fractures at the edges but you can see from one of the pictures that the top plate was in fact in two pieces that made up either side of the gun sight slot and i think this is why others have talked about it being too small.
    The bottom interior shot even shows the welded locating lugs and the bevelled edge that you describe.

The reason these pictures were so hard to find is that this site is for Stugs that were purchased by the Finish army in 1943/44 and he uses the Finish designation for the Stug which was Ps-351.

It is a very good site for all things Stug and the link is here.
    www.andreaslarka.net

If I were you I would be going back to where I found this and have another look around the whole area.. you never know what else you might find.

?

BABYTEETH BE DA MAN! Proof Positive.

He's right too about researching the area...one of the hooks looks bent, possibility a hit or internal explosion, could be more parts laying around. Can you use a metal detector in the area?

?

I know this is an old thread but here`s a pic of a Stug III gunsight hatch.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Wow thanks zwerge a great picture. Obviously a plate has been welded across the gunsight opening I guess to keep the weather out.

Thanks

LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5