Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?

Article about: Last year I was lucky enough to dig this Panzer hatch from Normandy, in the area known as the Falaise Pocket. I thought it would be an easy job to identify which vehicle it came from. But I'

Default Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?

Last year I was lucky enough to dig this Panzer hatch from Normandy, in the area known as the Falaise Pocket.
    I thought it would be an easy job to identify which vehicle it came from. But I've had no luck as of yet. A friend leant me an old 1950's book with lots of black and white photos of German Heavy Panzers and there was a hatch very similar on a Tiger II. Obviously if it were from one then I'd be very happy but I don't mind what it was from as long as I know.
    I thought by posting on here someone may have an idea and can help.
    I've shown a few pictures to help identification together with a rule for the scale, if you need any other pictures or need to known any dimensions please post a reply and I'll get them on this thread.
    For reference the edge is slightly tappered, meaning the lower edge is smaller than the top making it when closed very strong, if it took a hit from above.
    As can be seen in the pictures there are traces of paint with the inside lighter almost white and the outside still has small traces of dark yellow and perhaps even dark green.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You.
    Luckystrike.

Default Re: Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?

Oops guys I submitted without the photos now trying to attach them to message.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?   Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?  

Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?   Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?  

Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?   Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?  

Hi
    My Dad works at the tank museum in Dorset,U.K, I will try and mail him the pics and see if he can match it with anything there,I am on a ship with a bad net connection so it may be a while before I get a reply..but it may be worth a try...Andy

Hi Andy,
    Thanks for your reply, thats great news if anywhere can identify the Hatch then I'm sure the tank museum could. Thanks for your offer I really appreciate that. I hope its not to rough at sea and that you're somewhere where it's warm.
    All the Best.
    Luckystrike.

I have mailed the pics onwards and will just wait for a reply...as for the sea, it has been rough as f**k and I am off the Norwegian coast...so wrong on both scores there mate

Well, it is german. It looks to be off the rear of an armored vehicle of some sort. I will do some digging in my reference books to see what I can find. Can't guarantee it is off of a heavy Tiger though. Hopefully it will be for your sake. That would make a neat piece to have.

Harry Morant
    ?

How thick is the armour??? If we knew that there are a lot of vehicles we could cancel out and narrow it down.

Harry Thanks for your response, unfortunately its in my garden shed and because we're into the English Winter it gets dark early so I'll sort it out in the light at the weekend, and measure the thickness and other dimensions and post them on here.
    All the Best
    Luckystrike.

Hi again
    Just an update, the pics are with the Tank museum and I hope to hear something before too long but the net connection is a bit dodgy out here due to the weather....Andy

Hi Andy,
    Thank you for the update, I look forward to hearing your Dads reply when and if he can find out more. I guess where you are currently gives you a good taste of what it must have been like for Artic convoys of WW2. Not only were they contending the freezing weather and rough sea's they also had the U Boats, Navy and Airforce after them. There's alot of snow about at the moment and the temp has dropped dramatically hopefully this hasn't hit you.
    Tomorrow I'll post the dimensions of the hatch.
    Take Care and thanks for your help.
    Luckystrike.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast