Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Please help ID US mortar optic

Article about: Hello gentlemen! A friend of mine just digged out this very nice optic part in a DZ near St Mere Eglise. Any help will be really apreciated to identify from what kind of weapon it comes. Bes

Default Please help ID US mortar optic

Hello gentlemen!
    A friend of mine just digged out this very nice optic part in a DZ near St Mere Eglise.
    Any help will be really apreciated to identify from what kind of weapon it comes.
    Best regards.Seb
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help ID US mortar optic   Please help ID US mortar optic  

Please help ID US mortar optic  

Default Re: Please help ID US mortar optic

Is this a so huge enigma?hi hi hi ....

Hi Seb, this is not from a US Mortar, but from an artillery gun I think you will find. This is the sight used on both the US 60mm and 81mm mortar, and as you can see, it is not the same.

http://www.ww2gyrene.org/assets/weap...m_mortar_4.jpg

This item is called a clinometer.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Checking the relevant manuals this is a specific type of US artillery clinometer, namely an Angle of Site Level Assembly.
    It is used to compensate for any relative difference in height between the sight and the target.
    Most US artillery pieces have one of these built in to the sight mount, but a small number have this seperate assembly which is fitted into a dovetailed bracket on the mount.
    From the location and the part number on the main casting, your item seems to have been fitted to the Telescope Mount M69 for the 90mm Gun M3 when installed in the M36 Gun Motor Carriage.

All the best,
    PB
    Last edited by Paul B; 09-01-2011 at 03:18 PM.

HOOOO,Gentlemen...I will always be amazed by the efficiency of your replies.Both Paul and Ade,a huge THANK YOU from an ignorant frog(may this not be a kiss,don't want to see you changed in a beautiful princess,hihihi...)