Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please Read! Help...

Article about: Jonnb-1 Look in the metal detector forum......some of your questions are answered in there. Basically if you dig something up and have no idea what it is, OR you identify it as containing ex

jonnb-1
    ?

Default Please Read! Help...

Hi guys I am getting alot of stick on other forums for metal detecting and I have read alot about Metal detecting on Battle grounds..

My Question is.

What sort of Explosives and other Items should one stay away from..

I have came across the German Glass Grenade before but it is a safe place now

Regards

Jonny

Default Re: Please Read! Help...

Quote by jonnb-1 View Post
    What sort of Explosives and other Items should one stay away from
    The ones that go bang Sorry I just couldn't resist that

The reason people get so upset is because they think that it is sacred ground, and you're pawing over it. But I argue, that the farmers that plough fields bring up stuff all the time, and they don't care about it, where as we do!

I have dug in France/ Belgium many many times, and i can say with all honesty, be careful what you pull up. Live rounds (rifle ones) are safe, it is unlikely that they are unstable, But grenades shells and mines, i wouldn't touch with a 20ft barge pole. Grenades especially become highly unstable after been buried for a number of years, the the oxygen gets to it, and makes it a nightmare to handle. I have known people who have had their hands and fingers blown off, because they wanted a souvenir. Know what you are looking at BEFORE you start to dig. Shells are a no no don't matter how old they are. In France you will see quite a number of shells lying on the road, minus the driving band, as that (to the French) is the most valuable part, being copper.

My advice, for what its worth, do your homework know what your looking at, and if in doubt leave well alone. Do not dig for the sake of that "nice piece" It could bite you on the A*se

Reg
    ?

To be honest old chap Ild stay away from any explosives if at all possible!

Some of the other guys on here may have some more useful advice about what do do if somthing is encountered, but I should think not tampering with it, leaving it and informing someone who's actually paid to dispose of it would be the best course of action.

Cheers
    Reg

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    The ones that go bang Sorry I just couldn't resist that...
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

jonnb-1
    ?

Thanks guys, anymore to add??

Regards

Jonny

Hi John,
    We used to do a lot of exersizes on Dartmoor live ranges, there you will find rounds laying about including mortar also.
    We were always finding them in the bottom of holes. all we did was roll away from them, a young boy was out with his parents and picked up a two inch mortar round and it went off killing him
    instanly. Leave any artillary round, granades ect alone.
    you will never know how unstable they are.
    dave.

?

Soviet 45 and 76 mm shells with KTM-1 fuze, ww1 shells, which is equipped with melinit ( picric acid)
    Also in which battlefield you are planning to go?
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Quote by Reg View Post
    To be honest old chap Ild stay away from any explosives if at all possible!

Some of the other guys on here may have some more useful advice about what do do if somthing is encountered, but I should think not tampering with it, leaving it and informing someone who's actually paid to dispose of it would be the best course of action.

Cheers
    Reg
    I agree, i search a lot and almost every trip i find ammo or explosives.
    Even with rifle/machinegun/airplane ammo you should be carefull, sometimes the coating of an bullet is affected and can cause spontaneous ignition, especially the ones with phosphorus.
    I allways leave ammo/explosives where i found them, a little deeper in the soil.
    Most of the times i find them in the middle of nowhere, so they can cause no harm.

jonnb-1
    ?

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Soviet 45 and 76 mm shells with KTM-1 fuze, ww1 shells, which is equipped with melinit ( picric acid)
    Also in which battlefield you are planning to go?

I actualy just would like to know whats dangerous and not dangerous before I go on the next trip which will be in the East, next year all being well....

Thanks anyhow....

Dieter
    ?

I agree with all of the comments made! please stay away from anyexplosives you find even bullets! leave them where they are and find another place to dig. It would be horrible to have another casualty 60+ years after the war!! Do not go to Kursk! I remember when I was there in '43 there were many tank and artillery rounds that got left behind after the battle (some in huge piles). Please be safe and stay away, for they are bound to be very unstable after all these years in the ground.
    Cheers!
    Dieter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast