Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please tell me! is this from a WW2 Plane!!

Article about: by Whitehunter ..... Hammer time here we come So you're going to dress in a pair of parachute pants and start doing some intricate dance moves, whilst shouting 'STOP' every now and again ? W

Default Please tell me! is this from a WW2 Plane!!

Hi all,

Went for a proper test with my Deus this morning had a quite a few bits and pieces

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please tell me! is this from a WW2 Plane!!   Please tell me! is this from a WW2 Plane!!  

Default Re: Please tell me! is this from a WW2 Plane!!

Great find mate, Certainly looks aero to me but Im sure someone will know.
    Is the new machine easy to use? are you happy with it?. Did you find anything else worth posting?
    LS

Machine is great! so easy to use. Wouldn't go back to useing the wired ones

Nice 20mm and .50cal and a Strange black box shaped thing. plus quite a few bits of scrap metal. Only had about 30 mins search

John

Hi WH,

The motor is off a fan of some type depending on the size, I can't tell because there is nothing to give it scale, but the Paragon Co. produced table top, wall mounted and ceiling fans and also larger ones for refrigerators from domestic to industrial size. The item is certainly of the interwar period.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

For scale heres a 20mm next to it

John

Thanks John,

It's definately off a domestic type fan, maybe a ceiling fan. Are there any fixing lugs or brackets?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Your black box thingy looks like an electrical box cover of some sort. I have found many similar items, with most of mine saying 'LUCAS' on them somewhere. Are there no markings at all ?

?

Though many US domestic appliance manufacturers made aircraft parts during WWII (eg Fridgedaire made .50 machine guns!) this really doesnt look to be aircraft - the makers plate looks too heavier gauge and appears to read 220 volts - a domestic power supply voltage and the 11 Amp rating would seem to support this. I think Ned is right it is off a domestic fan - though a well built one!

Thanks Ned and Nick. I was so excited when i first dug it up. oh well another thing i have mistaken for aircraft, At least it's got a fair bit of copper in it Hammer time here we come

John

WH,
    Remember it was found very close to the site of a big hanger. Hangers were well ventilated often using fans to stop the build up of fumes. Your find could well be from that.
    LS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast