Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Article about: 145 and 146 is definatly somthing to do with the weapons system as the same idea is in use today. The pilot can turn his weapon system to safe or not have all the required safety conditions

?

Default Re: Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Item 40 looks to be the armament selector diagram, light series in this instance referring to Light Series Bomb Carriers.
    16 positions too, just like the 5D/659 selector unit.

The Plate Wedge has a 14A/ stores code, so will be camera related.

All the best,
    PB
    Last edited by Paul B; 03-27-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Some really nice finds there LuckyStrike ... In picture 29 there is an item sitting on the battery ... from a distance it looks like the fins from a tail fuze arming vane ... could we have a close up pic of the cleaned up item?

Can't wait to see your next posts.

All the best,
    Gremlin

?

IIRC the wedge plate is a cockpit item for mounting the gun camera film indicator - see about a third down this page:

http://www.warbirdsite.com/museumspitfire.html

Another toothbrush for my wishlist

The amount of A.M marked stuff is impressive and i love that battery

Hi Guys
    Thank you so much for the ID help with some of my finds, Paul I'm very pleased to have the armament selector diagram identified and that it goes with the arming box I found. Nick thanks for sending the link to the picture of the wedge plate. Gremlin top marks and well spotted it is a tail fuse arming vane, I shall post a few more pictures soon including it.
    John I think with the number of types of WW2 tooth brushes being located with varying colours, manufacture materials different sizes etc etc it would certainly make a colourful, interesting and cheap to acquire WW2 sub collection.
    Steve it's great that you're up for getting out again Im hoping your foot will be better soon.

For reference I've discovered that the Control Panel plates shown in picture 34 are actually off the front of early airborne radar, both the Transmitter and Receiver were ASV-11, 176MHZ models and it appears the SS painted on the accumulator battery in picture 35 stands for Signals School.
    Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Here's the next lot.

First up is the tail fuse vane, this one is made of brass and marked 220 ? the .303 cartridge is just to show scale.

A couple of larger aero alloy pieces, notice the priginal paint on the handled relic.

An unidentified yellow tuning knob?

I don't know what this red item is, the threaded pin is made of aluminium.

Ive found quite a few pieces of plexi glass on this site but liked this corner piece because it has a trace of the aircraft paint stuck to it.

A few more pieces of aero alloy control gauges mounting frames etc.

This is quite a large piece of curved aero alloy air frame, I plan to join the broken piece back onto the bigger part. It is a light green colour on the inside and black on the outside.

These are markings on the end, I like the stylised propellers?

These are the other marks shown on the air frame piece.

Thanks for viewing.

more will follow

LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Interesting selection LS, and all very well preserved. Steel items with paint on are unusual. You're right about the earphones, google gosport tubes and you should find a pic. the bakelite bit in 24 had a rubber bungee cord sticking out of one end. Have seen them on Hurricanes but don't know what they do! The clear crescent under number 29 could be the window off a radio: SpitfireSpares.com - warbird Radio
    25 looks like a throttle lever, but isn't Lanc or Halifax. The G5 part number should mean a Gloster aircraft, but hardly any flew during the war. Going to look at the new pics now!

Nice bits. 51 onwards is part of the cockpit or turret framing off something. Cockpit interiors on British aircraft were usually painted green. Black outsides usually meant night bombers. Never seen stamps like those though. Will seek expert opinion!

Here are a few more.

Whilst digging I came across the remains of a large sized civilian 1920's/30's decco style bakelite radio. Bakelite as you know is very brittle and it was in a sorry state so I only retained it's dial and one valve. But I am now thinking that the front wasn't too bad so I may perhaps retrieve the front and have ago at a cosmetic restoration for display. I'm pretty certain it was used during the war perhaps whilst the aero mechanics worked on aircraft or in the NAAFI or Mess. Listening to the latest dance music or perhaps important news announcements whilst tuning that dial. I like the dial with all those exotic city radio stations markings.

Sorry Ive taken a few pictures of these but I would dearly love an ID on them. Whilst digging I found quite a large hatch (I'll post pics later) and when I lifted it I found a load of these underneath.

Front

Back

Maker or quality marks?

They are marked either PORT or STB'D (STARBOARD).

This gives you an idea of the number recovered and I still have a few more to wash. Anyway looking at them the only sensible suggestion for use I can think of is foot pedals perhaps for a Rudder? What do you think?

A mixed selection of small items.

Two of the knobs, one is marked KNOTS?

Thank you for any help.

There are still a few more pictures to follow.

LUCKYSTRIKE

great finds you sure have the right name. I like the torpedo dials & the other great things you found.

Unidentified but well marked riveted piece of aero alloy.

Marked electrical cable and plug.

Strange originally blue painted alluminium buckle type item, marked A on the rear

Hand made hatch with jubilee clip type tie on the rear.

The last picture which is out of position, shows some sort of electronic box that later had a blanking cover fitted over one openning.

Thats it for now, still lots left to clean and of course revisit the site at sometime.

Thank you for any help you can offer on any of the items. With a big thank you to Ian_ for all his expert advice very much appreciated.

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.  

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast