Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Article about: 145 and 146 is definatly somthing to do with the weapons system as the same idea is in use today. The pilot can turn his weapon system to safe or not have all the required safety conditions

?

Default Re: Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Photo 72.
    Section 5D covers bombing equipment.
    5D/526: Socket, Unscreened.

Socket 5D/525 uses Plug 5D/515, and Socket 5D/527 uses Plug 5D/517, so presumably this took a 5D/516 plug.
    They appear to have been used to hook bomb racks up to the aircraft electrical system, hence requiring removeable connections.

All the best,
    PB

A high quality piece of stainless steel it came out of the ground shining even though it had been buried 65+ years. I don't know what it is other than some sort of frame its quite heavy but seems to have aero type markings so probably was an airborne piece.

This relic excited me and believe it or not I'd forgotten I'd found it so got another thrill when I found it again in my finds bag. Sadly the condition is not so good, I changed the picture format to black and white to aid reading. There is loads of info on it. It shows the Maximum Operational Limitations for the MERLIN 32 engine.
    I took more close up pictures and merged them into one picture but then couldn't download it due to its size. Where would this plate have been mounted on the Engine or in the Cockpit?

Made of Steel and retaining much of it's original paint. Its a spring loaded handle? could it be a throttle?

Several aero alloy parts, Ive found several of the hinge plates as shown at the top, most retain their original paint.

Closeups of some of the markings in these pieces.

Another selection of electrical fittings many mase of bakelite and Air Ministry marked.

Close up of a couple of the pieces.

Large heavy brass tube with a code marked formica insert with two holes, it looks like a hose nozzle but if it is whats the formica insert for?

Thats it for now I'll post more as they're cleaned.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

I think picture 83 is a fuel nozzle.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Re the Merlin plate, it's from the side of the engine crankcase.

More appropriate in relation to some of your other finds, the Merlin 32 was optimised for low altitude use by the Royal Navy.

Fitted in a number of aircraft, including:
    Fairey Barracuda II and III
    Supermarine Seafire L IIC

It's low-altitude grunt also found a use with the RAF's photo recce types:
    DeHavilland Mosquito PR Mk 32
    Supermarine Spitfire PR XIII

PB

?

LS, pics 70-71 , brake shoes, im not too sure these being formica type material but i thought they used to use hard pressed asbestos, for heat absorbsion.

Merlin 32 was fitted to Barracudas as Paul B says. Photo 25 is a Barracuda flap lever; the wedge plate in photo 31 fits many aircraft but in the Barracuda it's in the Observer's position. Photo 63 is the torpedo switch panel, by the pilot's right elbow. I'm enjoying this! I'll dig out my Barracuda refs...

I'm SOOOO jealous! We had over a hundred Barracudas at Ronaldsway and all we've found are a pilot's seat and a pair of wheels.

Ivor
    Last edited by iramsden; 03-30-2011 at 10:11 AM.

LS

I am amazed at the quantity of stuff you're finding. I would recommend you get yourself to the barrack area of the site as it looks like this place has never been searched before. I reckon the ground around the barracks will be jammed with stuff.

The item identified as a flap lever is very interesting as I have found something very similar at an RAF dump site.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/milit...g-dsc03068.jpg

Not that disimilar really.....Perhaps a flap lever from a Lanc ?

Cheers

Steve T

?

Linky to the Barracuda Pilots Notes:
    upload pilots notes for barracuda

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for the ID on the 5D unscreened socket for bomb rack link ups, it goes so well with the bomb arming unit and the Torp 16 position id plate I'm very pleased to have this little part. Also thanks for the Merlin plate info, its position and aircraft that used it, mainly for low altitude work, Great Stuff.
    Hi Dave,
    Yes the brakeshoes are made from compressed asbestos but being unused they still have the protective damp proof brown coating over the top. This is only a thin layer but looking at it closely appears to be made of a formica type coating although I could be wrong on this?. Although sealed in I still want to give them an additional coating of matt varnish just for peace of mind.
    Hello Ivor,
    Thanks once again for your expert knowledge, its great to see that many of the identified pieces appear to all come from one aircraft type 'Barracudas'. I'm getting the impression from you that they must be quite scarce pieces to find. But with 100 aircraft sites on Ronaldsway, there must still be a lot more for you to find?, to me the pilot's seat and wheels sound great finds.
    Hi Steve,
    Good to hear from you, I agree I wasn't expecting to find too much at this site and on the whole the preservation is very good. You're right about your part it does look very similar to my find the flap lever. I will definately try to locate the accomodation area for this area but at the moment I'm happy finding the aircraft bits in what I loosely term the dumping area.
    You take care mate.
    All the Best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Hi LS, we don't have 100 Barracuda crash sites, but there were over 100 of the aircraft stationed here in the IOM in 1944-45 at Royal Naval Air Station Ronaldsway.

There's an unfortunately large number of Barra crash sites just offshore where the dive-bombing range was, but there's not a lot left of them - or so I'm told by the divers. In any case very few of the crews were recovered from these aircraft so we're not too keen on disturbing the underwater sites. The wheels/tyres were found in a hangar on the airfield. One still has the delivery address marked on it in chalk! The seat came from one of the airfield's dump sites but it's the only Barra bit that we found there.

Does the plate in photo 63 fit neatly over the selector box in photos 7 to 9? They are both bomb selector items and I'm wondering if the plate (63) was used to blank off the redundant parts of the switch box. The selector box appears in the Barra 1 and 2 Pilots Notes (thanks for the linky) but the Barra 3 notes show plate 63. Or maybe the Mk3 used a different design.

If you're ever in the IOM come and have a look at our museum, the Manx Aviation & Military Museum.
    Last edited by iramsden; 03-30-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast