Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Article about: 145 and 146 is definatly somthing to do with the weapons system as the same idea is in use today. The pilot can turn his weapon system to safe or not have all the required safety conditions

?

Default Re: Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Re. photos 112/113: 6D/112

All the best,
    Paul

Hi Paul,
    Thats wonderful, thank you for looking it out, certainly the full decription there.
    All the very best.
    LS

Lucky,

Pic 111 the piece of alloy IS a stringer of some kind from a Noorduyn built North American Harvard IIB. Noorduyn built under licence 2,485 that were supplied to the RAF/RCAF and FAA. Heres a pic, i know its a model only, but the livery is authentic for the period.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned.
    Thanks again for an id, the stringer from a Havard IIB.
    Thanks for showing the picture its certainly one great model you've got there. If you made it yourself congratulations on your skill. I think if the background had been a natural scene and to scale I wouldn't have known it was a model at all.
    Checking airfield details it again does not mention Harvards as flying from it but with that number built under licence I imagine they must have flown from many airfields during the war, some for limited periods and I'm sure not always recorded at the time.
    Another great id, much appreciated.
    Cheers Mate
    LS

'Fraid not! It's off the web, although i'm currently building a photo etched skeleton model of an Airco DH2 in 1/160 scale. Believe me thats small!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

LS

Nice lot of finds there again. The thermometer I doubt is from a weather station as the graduations are just to small and the temperature to high. I bet it didn't get up to 200 degrees on a sunny day, even in the 40s! It maybe a cooking thermometer or one used for medical/chemistry purposes, (making up of fraction distillation products for instance).

Cheers

Steve T

More interesting stuff! Photo 111 – I have to disagree with Big Ned’s identification of the alloy section as being from a Noorduyn-built aircraft. If you look at its part number, it starts CG52A and many of the numbers on your other bits start G52A (for example the ring in photo 121/122 which also has a Fairey stamp on it. I think this part number is a better indicator of the part’s origin than the N. We’ve got a panel from a Blackburn Botha which has got exactly the same N stamp. My guess is that this N is the stamp of one of the sub-contractors who supplied parts to different manufacturers and that the part could again be from a Fairey Barracuda. The final answer will be when somebody finds a parts list for a Barra.
    Photo 117 – the large plug may be an oil tank cap.
    Photo 118 – looks to me like another bit of your cooker!
    Keep them coming…

Hi LS,

Love the hoard of gaskets looking forward to your return visit

John

Apologies for not posting on this for a while. I have been busy cleaning previous finds etc so will be posting them soon. But today I returned to the airfield for another 3 hours stint and this time I tried a new area near the former site of a hanger. At first it was quiet with few finds but then I hit an area pretty jammed with finds and I ponly searched a part of it, so that'll be my destination on my return.

Here are todays finds just after I'd pulled them out of my rucksack. There is a fair amount of scrap aluminium (former airskin) that'll I'll be washing and sorting looking for stamps or marks before slinging it in the scrap bucket. But as you can see there are also plenty of interesting bits to clean up

I just couldn't wait with this find and have already cleaned it up. Its not often that I find trench art but this seems to be some sort of home made name tag for L CRAVEN and below that L/FX 799976? Im assuming the number is his ID number but what does the L/FX stand for? I'm assuming rank perhaps Lieutenant Flight ? do you have any idea's?

For once I took my camera with me today and I'm pleased I did because I was able to record this, still in the hole as I uncovered it.

Thanks for looking.

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.  

The number is Craven's RN number. I don't know what L/FX means but that prefix is associated with a couple of records that we've got which relate to men in the Navy's Air branch. They aren't officers though.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast