Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Article about: 145 and 146 is definatly somthing to do with the weapons system as the same idea is in use today. The pilot can turn his weapon system to safe or not have all the required safety conditions

Default Re: Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Hi Ned,
    Thanks for your detailed description and the good photo of the Hind.
    Now Ive said it before but Im always learning in this hobby, it's what makes it so interesting and not only from my own posted items but all the other threads. When I found these discs I sort of had an idea they could be for ballast but to have it confirmed in such detail is superb. Like me until I found these, most people probably wouldn't know what they looked like or their use so with your detailed reply and all the others identifying items we'll all benefit.
    All the best Mate.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Lucky,

The lead discs in pic's 168-69 are indeed aircraft counterweights. They were specifically used in single engined aircraft with a rear cockpit or turret. A tube was passed through the aircraft behind the rear cockpit/turret with weights attached on either side, outside of the aircraft for ease of fitting and removal. They were used to change the c of g on aircraft that were not carrying the gunner during flight.
    Regards, Ned.
    Thanks for the interesting info Ned - The Defiant I excavated was not carrying a gunner on its last flight - so they really are part of the story of that flight now - Will move the trailer at the weekend to get at them and take some photos.

?

Hello LS, there really is a lot of knowledge on this forum, and quick to! The mass balances could be from a variety of aircraft, the photos are of Spitfire weights, mounted inside the fuselage just behind the tail wheel. They would also be used to adjust CoG for guns, radio etc. The Spit was a re dig, but there was quite a bit left. Always look forward to your posts, it's like a quiz night.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.   Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.  

Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.  
    Last edited by ian_; 05-26-2011 at 10:22 PM.

?

Ian, roughly how big are your Spitfire weights? The reason I ask is because the only ballast weights that I've found were from a Blackburn Botha and they are much smaller than LS's.

Edited - I can see how big they are now in your second post. The Botha ones are smaller.

?

The Spit ones are about 8 inches diameter. The AGS stamp on LS's are Aircraft General Service (or spares or Standard) not sure which. I would imagine the last thing a Botha needed was large ballast weights!

Hi Ian
    That's just perfect, your picture of the relic weights from the Spitfire you dug look identical to mine which are also 8 inches or so across. I know many aircraft used ballast, so if the sizes are standard then I guess they could have come from many models but I'm saying this because Spitfires are recorded as flying from this site for a time. I'm looking forward to comparing the pieces dug by Nick when he posts them.
    I tried to find what AGS stood for via Google before posting the thread, it gave me thousands of hits! I ploughed through quite a few but didn't find any for Aircraft General Service/Standard/Spares so again thank you for decythering that. When found the one with the curved edges had what looked like the remains of a very rusty steel cover almost like it had originally been in a tin shaped like a film reel can. Sadly it was just too far gone to be able to save, but still an interesting observation.

Sorry to ask you Guys but do any of you have any idea what the interesting shaped piece of aircraft that's painted red could be? as shown in pictures number 200,201 and 202. It's very strong and quite weighty I guess due to reinforcing and being painted red Id love to have an idea what part it is or what it came from?
    Ian I love that quote 'its like a quiz nite', I'll post another as soon as I have another selection of relics to show .
    Thanks for all your help, I like the way that this thread has brought together knowledgable, dare I say even experts in your fields to help identify these finds Im indebted for all this info and still learning so much .
    Best Wishes.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

I'm scratching my head over the red bit. It's so big that it must be visible in photos but maybe my Barracuda fixation is misleading me here. Is the long bolt with a lock nut hollow or does it just look like an adjustable stop? If it's a stop it suggests a movable part and the slot suggests some kind of release mechanism. I've been looking at torpedo release mechanisms but I can't see anything similar. Another possibility is the arrestor hook release. Come on, guys, put us out of our misery!

I think the Niphan part in photo 191 is a protective cover for an electrical connector, possibly from the underwing connectors for flare racks. It would have been fixed to the connector by a chain or a wire. If you search Google images for "niphan socket" you'll see what I mean.

Hi Ivor,
    Sorry for the delay in coming back. The long bolt is solid and bent over slightly, it has a lock nut at the bottom I guess to enable adjustment of its length?, The nut on the end is threaded right through so perhaps somehing could be screwed into it whilst the bottom edge is screwed onto the bolt? Thank you for your suggestions on its use, perhaps its painted red as a safety warning for a moving part rather than aircraft colour scheme? One day it'll be identified, but in the meantime I'll keep checking lots of pictures hoping to spot a match.
    Thank you for the Niphan lead I did manage to find a few interesting pictures on this.
    All the very best.
    LS

LS, going back to picture 181, according to the wizards on the British Ordnance Collectors Network forum the blank rounds that you found are:

"Cartridges SA Blank .303 Inch Cordite with Mock Bullet Mark VI. They were introduced into service in 1901, but there were problems as the mock bulleted end of the blank broke off when firing. There were also aparently problems with ball and blank rounds being mixed up in bad light, to help prevent this the cases were blackened. Most of the blanks were later converted by the removal of the mock bullet."

Many thanks to Buster and Tony on Inert Ordnance WW1, WW2 | information,sales,wanted,photos,forum and more for their help with this.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast