Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Article about: 145 and 146 is definatly somthing to do with the weapons system as the same idea is in use today. The pilot can turn his weapon system to safe or not have all the required safety conditions

Default Re: Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Hello Dave
    Thanks for your observation it makes sense, I'd originally thought the handles were used the other way around with the open ends clipping onto the box, so that will hopefully narrow down my search. Cheers.
    Hi Elliott
    Welcome to the forum, Im very impressed you've pretty much identified all of these relics which is great news for me thank you so much. With Bristol, Bolton and Westland aircraft parts this batch has turned out to be a better selection than I'd originally thought. Currently Im happy to retain them but if in the future if I decide to part with any Ill certainly remember your interested. Thanks.
    Hi Ian,
    Hello again thanks for looking, your right about the lever it's nice to see one as it should be. You made me laugh, with the 'Spoil Trousers' quote imagine how I felt when I first saw it!!! But I think next time I go back I will pick it up just to give it a good going over to look for any makers marks just in case it perhaps came from a WW2 vehicle.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Lol - it does look like a bit like the control wheel off a Whitley - yes, got my attention for a minute!

Good luck with your searches LS
    Last edited by Elliott1940; 06-25-2011 at 11:14 PM.

The first picture is out of order and appears last in this post. The picture below is a close up of all the markings on this relic. It appears to be some sort of hydraulic tubing with valve. Identified as 6D Aircraft instruments perhaps it supplied the fluid to a gauge for measurement. As you can see it still retains the original lead seal impressed with what I belive is an Anchor and Waves?. You can see there is also an arrow initially I thought this was a WD arrow but now think its probably to indicate the flow direction. Do you know what this was used from or perhaps what it was off?

A small piece of light weight steel tubing with an interesting end, Ive displayed this relic because it still retains the remains of its original painted id plate. Parts of which are still readable,obviously X3 BEAR ? is the easiest bit to decern but can you make out anymore or identify the original use.

Usually when I find pieces of aero alloy the rivets have gone, so I retained this small piece because I liked the look of it.

This is my favourite find from this selection. When I found this I could see no markings on it at all although it was an interesting shape so it went into my finds bag and sat there for a month or so. When I came to clean it I could only make out half of the wording of the top line because the front face was covered in quite thick rust. This was the residue of another item that had been next to it.
    My next worry was how was I going to clean it without damaging the painted surface. In the end with my heart in hand I put it in a derust fluid but only for a couple of mins to see the effect on the paint. Luckily there seemed to be none so I spent a whole evening (several hours) dunking it for a few minutes then gently scrubbing it with a soft toothbrush. Im very pleased with the result and no I didn't cause the scratches they were already there.
    This is obviously an instruction plate for manually winding down the undercarriage of an Aircraft 26 turns could this identify which type?. You can see there is a half cut out circle at the bottom which I assume is where the winding lever would have been inserted. It also indicates whether the Radiator shutter is open or closed.

Now this is interesting, on the the previous item it says 'to lower chassis raise BAULKING Lever' this item is a lever and was found near the plate above. It also says 'RAISE BEFORE OPERATING CHASSIS EMERGENCY GEAR'. So putting two and two together is this a Baulking lever?

Thats it for now but I do have a few more items to post that I'll put on later. Thanks for any help.

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.  

?

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    A small piece of light weight steel tubing with an interesting end, Ive displayed this relic because it still retains the remains of its original painted id plate. Parts of which are still readable,obviously X3 BEAR ? is the easiest bit to decern but can you make out anymore or identify the original use.
    It appears to read:

DRG. 9982 AC
    X3 REAR
    OUTER

All the best,
    PB

Hi LS - 229 is a choke for a hydraulic pressure gauge.

LS - I just LOVe your lateral thinking. A word ending in 'ear' on a piece almost certainly from an aircraft and you chose 'Bear' !!!! Mind you.....Barnes-Wallis's lesser known invention 'The raging Bear bomb' was never taken up by the RAF but you weren't to know that. It was a metal cylinder containing 5 really REALLY angry bears, that parachuted them into the forests of Germany. He wasn't to know that the first test landed them near Goldilocks house and ruined the whole experiment.

'Bear'. LOL !

Steve T

Hi Steve,
    As soon as PB pointed out my error I knew it was only a matter of time before you spotted it. But your suggestion was actually quite plausible when you think about it. Most people would need a second take to believe SOE used exploding rats, dog poo mines and explosive coal to mention just a few .
    Cheers
    LS

Here are the last few odds for this time.

On the site I find lots of different lifting hooks, but this one is quite unusual.

A brass wheel marked with arrows of either side, it has no other markings.

An interesting shaped piece of aero alloy retaining some of the original paint sadly it has no other markings.

A small brass hook, could it be for air crew kit?

I dont know if this is trench art or off a piece of official kit, its two pieces of plexi glass.

Made of quality stainless steel and well marked but do you have any ideas what it could be?

and finally a small buckle marked British

Thank you for all your help identifying my finds.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Ref 240, yes i can positively id this as a piece of metal with holes and slots in it, sorry LS i couldnt resist, everyone else has had a dig ,i thought it was my turn lol

Quote by davejb View Post
    Ref 240, yes i can positively id this as a piece of metal with holes and slots in it, sorry LS i couldnt resist, everyone else has had a dig ,i thought it was my turn lol
    lol

Nice finds again LS. Some interesting bits but none I can ID unfortunately.

BTW, I knew about the rats and coal but had forgotten about the dog poo. This is rather annoying as, when I was out at my USAAF dump there was LOADS of it around. I'll bring some back with me next time I go.

Steve T

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast