Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Article about: 145 and 146 is definatly somthing to do with the weapons system as the same idea is in use today. The pilot can turn his weapon system to safe or not have all the required safety conditions

?

Default Re: Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

I wouldnt worry about the dog pooh now it would have self deteriorated by now and wont go bang, but it might go PONG if stepped on

Its been a while since I last visited this site so went back to give it a go and was pleasantly surprised its still producing nice relics.

Here are the recent finds (only 2 hours searching) straight out of the earth.

A sadly unmarked aero alloy strengthening brace of some sort.

I've found a few of these (posted before) but here is the latest, an aero access hatch with the remains of the original paint. Marked FM DH2 FS2 1? FM + Fairey

A small but complete aero panel with original paint, marked A or 4MB GA (Gloster Aircraft?) 43 (1943) AFZ700 1 ISSD.

A quality marked stainless steel pin, with the remnants of yellow paint.

I've found a few aero brake pads at this site and here's another but this is smaller than previously found, perhaps from a tail wheel? It's marked 8 could this be for its size then K38 DR42 with a large 2 scratched on.

When found this black painted aero alloy panel was bent in half, but I could make out white lettering so thought it could be interesting. It was a hell of a job to straighten but worth it.

Any ideas what it is from or why they needed to mark the wing tip?

Thank You for looking .
    LUCKYSTRIKE

I often find accumulator batteries with these missing so its always good to have a few spares.

An alloy gasket its quite thick 1 to 2mm marked S4 GPE 51A 5.

A large and distinctly shaped aero alloy fitting with most of its original paint. When found it was quite bent but a bit of patient gentle work returned it to something like its original shape. Not only does it have the stamps into the alloy it also retains a hand written stores ref. CG52A 108B? A previous suggestion was this ref belongs to Fairey Barracuda? Ive check the limited pictures I have of this aircraft but cant identify where this part may have been. Do you have any ideas?

Rusted steel unusual shaped piece could it be the remains of a thread cutting die?

Im very pleased to have got this A complete Aircraft Control Column Locking Bracket, it would have been fitted to the aircraft when parked up. Its nice that plenty of the paint has survived, from it's good condition I think it would even work today.

A few bits and bobs, hydraulic tubing etc.

An unidentified block perhaps for electricity insulation? its marked D37330?

Retaining most of the original paint this steel tubing has a thin tube running through its centre perhaps for an aircraft control cable.

and the last picture below....

Ive found loads of these marked aero alloy squares with a couple of holes in them. One suggestion for use is they could be feeler measurement gauges, but quite a few Ive found are painted with some even having paint runs, this would obviously alter their thickness so Im not sure this is the correct use for them. This one if marked G52G A511 1 FM (Fairey) 581. Can you suggest what they could be?

Thank you for viewing and any help .
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.  

?

With the two holes equal distanced im thinking they could be spacers not guages

Great finds again LS, amazing how many realy interesting relics you manage to rescue.Let me know how you get on with your inspection stamp i.d's

Awesome finds again LS. Your possible 'thread cutting' thingy almost certainly is. I found one on my airbase, exactly the same shape as yours but not corroded, the cutting thread still clearly visible.

I love the control column lock.......great find !

If you find out what the item is in picture 256 let me know, as I've got the same thing in my 'to be identified' box

Steve T

Hi Dave,
    I think you're onto something, spacers is a good suggestion, the hole distance is always constant although the size of the alloy square varies. Cheers .
    Hi CB,
    Thanks for your positive comments, I have several different sites on the go at the mo that all seem to be producing quite a quantity of varied finds. Im in a good place but things can change so Im always researching the history to locate new sites, the history i what its all about . But I must say you've been making some awesome finds recently and long may it continue. If any info is gleaned on the inspection stamps Ill update the thread to keep you informed. Happy Hunting.
    Hi Steve,
    Cheers mate, thanks for the positive id on the thread die, Im hoping an ID will be found for relic 256 Ive had a few from this site. It has a narrow tube running through the centre to perhaps protect a cable as it passes through something?. I could be wrong but thats what it looks like to me. Hopefully someone will have seen one before.
    All the Best.
    LS

?

Some nice finds there LS! The control lock is very interesting. I think you're right about 256, probably a cockpit control, with the tube holding a return spring for a instrument panel knob. 251 is interior green on both sides so probably internal and difficult to spot. Looking forward to more!

Had another couple hours search

Fresh out the ground.

This lead aircraft ballast weight (7kg) is the fifth Ive found at this site.

Only a small find the top of a period cigarette lighter, I like the personal relics just a shame I couldn't find the rest.

Im pleased to have got this nicely AM marked bakelite Miscellaneous Radio wireless equipment. Any ideas what it was used for?

A complex peice of aero skin, only markings I could find are F8 37 (Fairey Engineering) could 37 be the year?

Two diferent pieces of aero alloy strength supports could be from a wing but more likely fuselage. Nice original paint in evidence but sadly could find no markings.

A larger piece of aero alloy, very tough and hard to bend, nicely marked.

Here's another example of the alloy squares perhaps a spacer, this example is painted.

Nice quality stainless steel, Ive found similar before this is nicely marked.

Some sort of tool with original paint on the handle, perhaps it is a tire lever?, me thinks it could make a good bottle opener

One of those painted metal flags/markers that would originally have said GAS, Ive found a few on diferent sites, thoughts are it was nailed up to show where the anti gas supplies were stored around the site?

Thats it for now thanks for any help.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.  

Hi ian_
    Good to hear from you again, thanks for your ID on my picture 256 relic Im very happy with that and Im sure Steve will be too, he can now remove it from his unidentifed box .
    Pic 251 is a big piece of alloy and Id love to get a positive aircraft or position id, I'd noticed the green appeared to be for internal fittings and because it forms a circular frame type shape, I was wondering if perhaps it held some sort of cockpit dial?
    All the best.
    LS

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast