Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Article about: 145 and 146 is definatly somthing to do with the weapons system as the same idea is in use today. The pilot can turn his weapon system to safe or not have all the required safety conditions

Default Re: Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Youve done it again,amazing to have the stamps and markings on your items.Great peices of aero too!I hope to find bits as good as that one day.Thanks for sharing them

?

I always keep an eye out for plane bits LS! Don't think 251 is for an instrument, there was nothing that big! From the shape it looks like front of wing or spine of fuselage. There are a couple of useful pictures here: Fairey Barracuda interior
    No 'walkarounds' though as there isn't a complete Barracuda anywhere, only bits at Yeovilton. Find some Spitfire stuff, I can do them!

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    Not only does it have the stamps into the alloy it also retains a hand written stores ref. CG52A 108B? A previous suggestion was this ref belongs to Fairey Barracuda?
    Funny you should say that. I did a search online with the 'baulking lever' plate the other night, just to see what I could find, and came up with Fairey Barracuda too. I couldn't prove it for sure so i didn't post it.

Rob

Here are some of the pix I found of a Barracuda cockpit. The baulking lever plate is on the right hand side:

Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

And i also found these technical drawings of the plane too:

Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Rob

Pic 252 is a taper tap.

Hi CB,
    Your current site seems to have loads of potential Im sure you'll be recovering some marked alloy soon.
    Hello Ian_
    Thanks for those excellent links, its been a long time since I last visited the FAA Museum Ill have to go again there'll be so much to interest me.
    Hi Rob,
    Thanks for confirming your search also came up with Barracuda thats great news. Cheers also for uploading the pics Ive already spent quite a while checking through the cockpit.
    Cheers Bartman6996
    for confirming the id on the the thread cutting tool Tapper Tap, it was probably lost from the tool kit of an FAA Mechanic.
    All the Best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Lucky, re the photo of the handles that i thought originally would have had wooden handles, look at a thread posted by Datrus , re TR re-enactment, it appears they could possibly be german ammo can handles, unless they were a generic design adopted by other countries, but you were right , the open ended pieces DO attach to an ammo can and a form of wrap over hinge holds them in place, the photos of the can appear at the very bottom of the first page of his post

Hi Dave,

Thanks for remembering these handles and your suggestion. For an idea of scale based on your original idea, Ive balanced one on a modern loo roll. As you can see it is a fair bit smaller, the picture actually doesnt show this too well because
    of the angle it was taken.

But for reference here it is balanced on a couple of my German mg ammo boxes showing their handles. As you can see it's a little smaller but of a similar design to the bottom one shown, being made of solid tubular steel. Ive tested it against my hand and it is a good size for a comfortable hold.

I'm starting to think perhaps the handles are off the wooden crates that replacement aircraft parts were shipped in? I've found quite a few now scattered around the area which was known for aircraft maintenance. But of course they could be off some sort of ammo box probably wooden because Ive never found a trace of the box.

Thank you for all you help.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Could be handle off a 25lber metal crate. They are just like that

Steve T

Hey Steve,
    Thanks for the suggestion that's good news, but now Im racking my brain trying to think why 25 pounder ammo boxes were at this airfield? but one thing about history you never know anything is possible. Unless perhaps these handle styles were mass produced and used on a variety of different transport boxes.
    Cheers
    LS

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast