Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Post WW2 practice gernade?

Article about: I was detecting today and came across this. I did some research on this and I keep finding that it is a dummy/practice grenade. Why in the world would this be in the back woods of my house h

Default Re: Post WW2 practice gernade?

No problem Anything ground dug, put it in this forum Best place for it

Is there any type of explosive in something like that? Can I go back and get it and display it proudly? =]

It could have a spotting charge in it ,although the lever assembly is missing its impossible to tell from the photos wether its expended or a blind

?

The detonator should be of the screw-in type and thus reovable with a bit of elbow grease, if this is indeed a practice grenade.
    Personally, I stay far away from both practice grenades and real grenades. I just wont mess with them.

Quote by spotter View Post
    It could have a spotting charge in it ,although the lever assembly is missing its impossible to tell from the photos wether its expended or a blind
    What would you need to see to tell?

Hey Bradanimal,
    Nice lemon type prac grenade.
    If you don't know what you are dealing with, leave it to the ODS of your area.
    If you do, the prac detonator stiks in the opening in the center, on the other side it is open as well.
    Clear the dirt slowly out the center hole oposit the detonator, with a pair of tweesers, a toothpik or flush it out with water.
    If the detonator charge is still there you will see it. A small blue colored plastic tube sticking down the center.(The only explosive present in that type of Prac-grenade to my knowledge, is the one of the Prac-detonator for the sound effect, the weight comes from the ironcast body.)
    Regards,
    Steven
    Last edited by WW2Hunter; 03-19-2012 at 02:04 PM.

I've heard a soaking in motor oil is a good precaution when handling explosives like this. Personally though, I would probably not risk it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2