Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Pre D Day battleground Training Area.

Article about: Wow. Love the sign and the 81mm section of tail. Great work... keep it up A hate jam with a vengeance but I love the tin! DM

Default Re: Pre D Day battleground Training Area.

Cheers DM thanks for that suggestion I hadn't thought of that, I've only found a couple of Rifle Grenade parts but there could be more out there I suppose. Thanks Ian I'm inclined to agree with you based on the sheer number of of fired blanks I find at this site (lots of battle training took place here). I've now got to the stage of only digging items that sound different too or are larger than the signals given off by rifle cartridges.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

For some reason i missed the last 2 posts, Cool stuff LS. Im impressed with the range of different stuff you have found so far. Good luck with the next search

John

I had a couple of hours search this week, sadly when I got there my camera died (out of batteries) shame because I could have got some good insitu pics. Anyway here are the interesting bits I haven't started cleaning them yet.

sorry the id's are a bit small, you may need to click on the pic to enlarge it

The last find is a Horse bit that pre-dates the others by at least 50 years but probably many more?
    Thank You for looking.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre D Day battleground Training Area.  

Nice one LS, those .30cal links are nice

John

The .30 cal lincs are 7.62mm NATO links most likely from a GPMG.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    The .30 cal lincs are 7.62mm NATO links most likely from a GPMG.
    Dammit ! Beat me to it

Thanks guys, Trust me to get it wrong I'd assumed the links were .30 cal because there were several .30 cal cartridges in the same hole. I'm going to reassemble the short length with 7.62 when its cleaned.
    All the best.
    LS

Ive been busy cleaning and preserving a few more relics.

First up is a remarkably well preserved US Bazooka tail with all the fins intact. When I found it just one was slightly bent but with a little gentle persuasion it was soon returned to its correct position. Above it is a lower section of a Bazooka body.

A couple of close up views showing the fins and propulsion nozzle.

US relic mortar tails for (left) 81mm M43A1 and (right) 60mm M49A2.

Another (this time bald) Bazooka tail less its fins, I like this example because of the serious battlefield shrapnel damage it's suffered .

A close up view not often seen of the jet propulsion nozzle.

Below are two US M9A1 Rifle grenade tails, the lower is pierced to the rear by two small shrapnel pieces and to the front a bullet . The rear one still retails its fin although now rather bent up.

Now this is of a slightly different design being shorter than a Bazooka tail it also exhibits prominent studs so Im thinking it could be part of a British Piat round?

Now this next find is very intriguing, What do you think it is? to me at first glance it looks like a button............................................ ..........

................................... except you can see it's scale against the recently found British 2 inch mortar tail !!!!!

It's made of a strong but light weight alloy, and is marked 2.3.39 and then A.I.D. E38 ? Do you have any idea's what it could be?. Perhaps its a pressure plate for launching rifle fired grenade projectiles?

Here's an inert spring loaded pin better known as a Fuse initiator for demolitions and to trigger battlefield bobby traps. It's marked with a BB a WD broad arrow and 56.

A schematic of this fuse initiator.

The last picture shows another British 3 inch Mortar fin, this is the first I've cleaned using distilled/white vinegar. It worked wonders and if I'd left it any longer it would have cleaned it to bare metal. But I like the relic look so stopped at this.

Thanks for looking.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre D Day battleground Training Area.  

YAY ... glad someone tried it good ain't it!

this is the first I've cleaned using distilled/white vinegar. It worked wonders

And WOW btw. Love all the US bits!

Mouse

I've had a few searches at the site recently, so here are a few pics of some of the rescued relics.

The remains of 3 Bazooka M6 A1 tails fresh out of the ground.

An unwashed large piece of mortar shrapnel.

A mixed selection of uncleaned items, the tin like object top left is made of alloy with several shrapnel hits. Not sure what it is but was thinking perhaps the body of some sort of trip flare casing? There's also a heal iron, ammo box handle and a lighter.

Close up of the dirty lighter .

Now cleaned up, when found it was at the same depth as other WW2 relics so am assuming it's from then although it could be post war. It's made of chrome plated brass and is marked Foreign. So not British made.

It's always amazing, how two similar relics recovered near each other can vary so much in condition.

The top one is in great condition with all markings very clear, this is embossed rather than impressed like most I find.

Unidentified relic found amongst the rest...... but it does look like the top of a tap, but if it is? it has no hole or way of attaching it to a tap to open or close the valve? Faintly marked HT ot RJ?

Cleaned up and sealed M6 A1 Bazooka tail nicely retaining all the fins, if a little bashed about following use.

Nicely a little of the original paint remains.

This is the first relic M6 A3C Bazooka tail Ive found, these were a later WW2 design being more stable in flight than the M6 A1 finned tail.

Again plenty of the original paint survived on this one.

Here's what it would have looked like.

A few more items will follow

Thanks for looking.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast