Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Pre D Day battleground Training Area.

Article about: Wow. Love the sign and the 81mm section of tail. Great work... keep it up A hate jam with a vengeance but I love the tin! DM

Default Re: Pre D Day battleground Training Area.

That's a great haul mate, very good pictures as well. and as for the buckle you found it's an early one, Medieval i have found one very similar to yours.

cheers

John

I haven't been to this site for a while, but recently I've had a few visits. What's better than to get out into the Autumn woodland with history all about .

This selection shows the fruits of one search, amongst these finds you can see a couple of British 3 inch mortar tails, and a selection of WW2 British trip flare bits.

One of the tails, this was one of my first attempts at electrolysis cleaning, I'm very happy with the results it even revealed the stamped markings on the fins.

The contents of a 303 cleaning kit, Sadly the tin itself was just mush.

Another search and a few more bits, this time with a greater US influence.

A US 3O 06 ammo box lid, I noticed this about 6 inches down a rabbit hole, I could see they'd had a hell of a job burrowing around it and I'm sure were well grateful to see the back of it!!. I also found this projecting adapter (for rifle launch) for a US fragmentation M11A1 grenade. 3 of the original 4 clips that held the grenade in place still remain.

After electrolysis.

I was very pleased to get this brass 1942 40mm Bofors shell case. As you can see it's blown apart and must have caused problems when it blew during a training exercise.

Two pictures show these completely empty and inert 2 inch Para illumination mortars as they were found, I was pleased to get these but sadly they're post war both dated 09/57.

I love this small Nescafe coffee tin, the paper Nescafe coffee sachets are often found on the battlefields but I've not seen a tin for the same. It says to make 2 1/2 pints the contents of a canteen. It also show's that other additives were included including Dextrins (for energy?). I have included the Tea Ration tin to show the scale.

Another British Mills base nut.

A few US Garande rifle clips to hold 8 x 30 06 most are uncleaned in as found. There's also a small piece of identifiable grenade shrapnel and Im very pleased to get these grenade pull rings with the pins still attached, these rings were all found together?

Another 2 inch tail as found.

A large signal, clear the surface and these are revealed.

30 minutes later and I'd got all of these, 201 x US 30 06 fired cartridges, this certainly seems a lot from one hole but if they had been fired by a 30 Cal MG then it would have only taken 20 seconds!! You may notice there are one or two 303 mixed in, these were just found close by and chucked in with the stash.

Finally this tin base or top retains much of the original green paint, it's marked with 3 dots and 30C, I'm assuming it's part of an ammo box? The size is 7 1/2 inches by 4 inches could it be for the ammo for a US M1 carbine?

That's it until next time.
    Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE

love the finds Lucky,you must be very pleased with the electrolysis results.You've done well!

really nice finds LS. I have never used electrolysis on small items like that fin, having reserved it for large chunks of metal, but by the looks of it, it has worked really well

Awesome finds LS !! Totally love the para illum rounds......awesome.

Thanks Guys, this electrolysis cleaning is a revelation to me, it's amazing how something that's looking pretty rough can be brought back to something worth displaying. It's easy too I just connect it up and it cleans away whilst I'm able to clean other relics . I'm using ex mobile phone chargers (low power output) as the power source. Due to this I have to leave the relic at least over night but often for longer. Harry so far I've only tried it on the smaller relic finds, nothing too big as of yet .
    Steve, I can tell you I was well pleased to get them, but slightly disappointed that they're post war 'But mustn't be greedy! .
    LS

Some cool finds there!
    Could someone point me in the direction of how to do this electrolysis cleaning? I could search but I'm feeling lazy (which is why I want an easy way to clean stuff)!

See here Richard:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/resto...-rifles-75815/

Nice finds as always Adrian

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Your Lee Enfield cleaning kit is a L1A1 cleaning kit judging by the SLR multi tool shown. Also, If I remember correctly, no kit as such was issued with the Enfield as the oiler and pull through were stowed in the butt. This kit was introduced in 1957/58 ish.

Ammo box is a 'hermetically sealed ammo can'. The photo shows a M8 can for .30 cal rounds in 8 round clips but the one you have is the similar M6 can for .30 carbine. These ammo boxes are where the term 'Ammo Can' originates, a one use affair. You can see the key on the top which is used to open the can, just like corned beef. They are post war.

Adrian, Thank you.
    m3bobby, Thank you as always an excellent spot it was that oil bottle that fooled me. It appears to be identical to the 303 type, but I suppose they were probably still in use with the introduction of the new weapon. The date also ties in perfectly with those Para Illum rounds.
    All the Best.
    LS

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast