Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Question regarding 'digging'

Article about: This maybe a silly question but i was wondering, when you guys go digging do you ever come across 'human remains'? if so what do you have to do? James

Default Question regarding 'digging'

This maybe a silly question but i was wondering, when you guys go digging do you ever come across 'human remains'? if so what do you have to do?

James

Default Re: Question regarding 'digging'

Quote by no man army View Post
    This maybe a silly question but i was wondering, when you guys go digging do you ever come across 'human remains'? if so what do you have to do?

James
    I dug up the human remains of Soviet and German soldiers. I gave the remains to the People's Union of Germany (Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge eV).
    No problems with it.

?

James,
    The short answer is, certainly in the UK, you MUST notify the authorities as you may have come across a crime scene. I believe that the same aplies to the majority of mainland europe also.
    If nothing else, its a matter of decency for the deceased.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Thanks for the fast replys, Ive never been digging personaly but i would love to. About 1/2 a mile away from my house is 'Pegwell Bay' and my grandparents told me that during WW2 the British aircraft used to unload all their bombs or crash land there, one guy i know has found 2 artillery cap badges there and what appears to be an Italian bullet. One day he knocked on my door and said 'I found this on the beach, what is it?' I looked and he was holding a live British 18pdr with a timed fuse, the fuse had 20 seconds left and was stopped by a cut between the two bands! I told him this and he didnt believe me when i said it was live and took it home and chipped away all the mud on the fuse with a knife!!! It wasn't long before the bomb disposal turned up and took it away

I have pictures somewhere, I will find them for you