Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

A quick walk reveals more than expected.

Article about: I don't know what to say,........... BRILLIANT ! There. That'll do Steve T

Default A quick walk reveals more than expected. Regimental vehicle emblem.

This weekend Whitehunter and me had planned to meet up for a dig, but I'd forgotten I'd already said Id drive my young son to a friends Birthday party. Because it was early afternoon the dig with WH had to be postponed.

After dropping my son and Wife at the party I had a couple of hours to kill before collecting them, so thought I'd go off for a quick walk to kill time. As this walk took me close to a dump site Ive dug and posted before (See links below) I included just in case a small hand rake to see if I could turn anything up without getting dirty.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battl...weekend-15744/

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battl...art-2-a-15908/

Well I pushed my way through the bushes and thankfully saw that the site had not changed since I was last there a couple of years ago, apart of course from lots of plant growth. Wandering around as best I could with eyes glued to the ground I soon spotted a small buckle and next to it another and then another.

Attachment 244784

I just kept raking my hand across the surface and more and more were revealed, as you can see for around one hours scratching around I certainly got quite a few all from a small area of 2m X 2m. Id say most were really on the surface no deeper than 2 inches because below the mat of tree roots and thin soil was concrete, the remains of a hut floor.

If you looked at my previous post links to this site you'll see that I found a load of Gas Mask anti dimming compound tubes here. So although there is a good selection of different webbing buckles in my finds. I think many may relate to the WW2 canvas type gas mask bags and there straps. I was also pleased to get the Thompson SMG strap buckle, the Americans having a few months tenure prior to DDay.

As expected I did find a couple more tubes of Anti Dimming compound, a bakelite shaving stick cover, an interesting shaped green bottle perhaps for After Shave and a couple of the usual .303 cases.

But best of all for me was this, it immediately caught my attention when I discovered its corner it was lying face down around 2 inches below the surface and made of alloy.

I pulled it out to reveal this number plate sized board with bubbling green paint.

But below this paint was an interesting sign.

Cleaning it up I discovered it was a Globe with an upright Broad sword surrounded by bright red paint?

But even better below this emblem is another layer of over painted green paint and below that is yet another earlier painted emblem or perhaps lettering in orange yellow paint on a black/very dark blue back ground.
    Id love to see what it shows but to do that Id have to sacrifice the globe emblem so I think I'll leave it as is for now.

and finally I recovered yet more post war ID tags that were mixed amongst the buckles.

If you have any idea who or what the Globe Sword emblem relates to please let me know?, Im assuming its post war but you never know.

Thank you for looking.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Last edited by LUCKYSTRIKE; 09-26-2011 at 08:34 PM.

?

Default Re: A quick walk reveals more than expected.

That is really some cool finds you did there, and only with a hand rake. Good job mate. Wonder what that globe sign is.

There he goes again......living up to his forum name !

Awesome finds LS. Jammy git !

Steve T

PS The emblem looks more like a USAAF squadron emblem. I had a quick look and the 15th Special ops squadron isn't far off yours

Well i think we both had a buckletastic weekend some more nice dog tags That sign is impressive you've done well cleaning it !! can't wait to find out what it means

John

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the replies. This site always seems to come up with something interesting but I think most of the stuff was dumped when the camp was shut down in the 60's which means most is post war but not all.
    The emblem I think is off a vehicle and would have attached to the front similar to a square number plate offset to one side.
    Steve thanks for the look at the US Sqdron emblems it would be awesome if it was as described, but having a look at the limited info on this site seems to show it only had an Army presence. It was a British Army camp for most of its life but for a 4 or 5 month period was handed to the US Army early in 1944, followed after DDay Ive recently discovered by a period as a German POW camp. Sadly I've found nothing related to the german period.
    Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Well LS, if you fancy a few hours work trying to track the unit emblem down, try starting here

INDEX: Insignia, Badges and Decorations of the United States Armed Forces of World War Two

I started but it's quite a big task !

Steve T

I am certain the formation sign is British.

Great finds!

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for that mate, Im working my way through a similar site on the British Army (National Service) http://www.britisharmedforces.org/index.php
    once Ive finished this I'll start on your US one.
    Ps this site has some great free screen savers, they scroll through pictures of British Army cap badges, 3 screen savers showing 2000 different badges .
    LS

bonjour

de superbes découvertes,bravo.

Hi Ade,
    Thank you for that, there are certainly quite a few Brit formation badges showing very similar swords, the First and Second Army's are good examples. But I haven't as of yet found any with the globe back ground.

Bonjour prospecteur59
    Merci.

Son toujours un plaisir pour regarder les découvertes youve a fait d'autour du secteur de Dunkerque et vos grandes restaurations.
    Meilleurs Souhaits.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast