MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

A quick walk reveals more than expected.

Article about: I don't know what to say,........... BRILLIANT ! There. That'll do Steve T

Default Re: A quick walk reveals more than expected.

The little clasp buckle things look very much like Stirling SMG sling parts.

Hi m3,
    Good to hear from you. Thanks for your suggestion Id assumed it was from a Gas mask bag but it could well be from the Stirling, based on the sort of date of the dump and finding the Thompson buckle. I'll have a look to see if any are marked.
    All the best.
    LS

I've had a few hours dig this week, as a recon I opened up a few separate small exploratory holes along the dump just to see what would come up, here are the results.

It certainly doesnt let me down on the British Army ID tags I always get a few These are early post war, based on the old style regimental numbers (late 1940's to early 1950's although some are later). A lot of them relate to the Royal Army Medical Corps. In the picture is also shown a Lee Enfield cleaning rod, a cup fragment dated 1942 and an unidentified clip of some sort.

Sadly the spoon is also post War but nicely WD marked and dated 1953 (the year of the Korean cease fire).

The two 303 cartridges are dated 1942 and 1943, one is obviously Bren fired.

I found this little stash of Mk2 Trip Wire Flare stakes, most are in good condition but one is almost perfect with all its original paint intact.

and finally two gas mask anti dim tubes that contained an ointment to stop condensation forming on the inside lenses of Gas masks. The tubes also contain a cloth for applying it in the other end. The large box is complete and still contains the tubes of anti gas ointment for applying to exposed skin during a gas attack. Nicely it still retains a little of the original paint and application instructions.

Thanks for looking.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Cracking finds lucky!! i especially like all those buckles!!!!!

Cool Stuff mate,

I wonder which Antigas tin it is

John

Also that Dog Tags interesting because it's stamped differentlly

Thanks Gibba, it does throw up a few surprises and the buckles were great but with all the leaves down now its hard to spot them as most were on or just below the surface.
    John, The odd stamped dog tag is a slightly later format based on the US dog tag stamping method, its nice to get a variety of styles. Thanks for the pics of the two tins, I think mine looks more like the 1952 shade of green paint, could you post pics of the rears because more has survived on the rear of mine.
    All the best.
    LS

Here you go mate, My mistake it's 1953 dated

John

Thanks John, I can see the remains of the hand and tube diagram so its definately one of these types but as they're both the same to the rear its hard to confirm exactly which. But at least I can now see what a good one should look like.
    Cheers.
    LS

Yesturday Lucky kindly invited me down for a search

I said to LS at the beginning i'll be happy if i find 1 tag today, 116 tags later

Within 2 seconds of scrapping our feet Lucky had found one, soon after i got my first

Sometimes they would come out shinny as the day they where dumped

A nice haul 5 in a go

This one was stuck to rock i was going to leave it like this but was black on this side

About 60 of the 116 cleaned so far, im quite enjoying cleaning them. i got one complete set with the string still attached

We also found lots of Buckles and a few other bits but i havn't cleaned any of mine yet

John

Hi John
    Nice pics they came out well, you've done a good job cleaning them up too, I think they'll look great framed I might even try that myself with a clip frame. I haven't touched any of my finds yet but I'll take some pictures tomorrow as they're unpacked. I'm looking forward to cleaning up the old brass fire extinguisher to see what the nice manufacturers plate says and also checking through the stash of webbing buckles for different types.
    Keep up the good work.
    LS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast