Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

A quick walk reveals more than expected.

Article about: I don't know what to say,........... BRILLIANT ! There. That'll do Steve T

Default Re: A quick walk reveals more than expected.

I spent too long faffing about with my previous post before submitting and missed the 1hr deadline so my first picture didn't download. So here it is in all its glory

Just a selection of buckles, but as you can see some have suffered from the effects of the fire.

Ade, thanks for your help, what a perfect description 'Vegetable Ivory' fits with the appearance and for that matter texture of this button .
    All the Best
    LS

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Good stuff. The buttons are wartime and were made of what they called at the time "Vegetable Ivory"
    You sometimes see this material referred to as 'composition' too

Rob

?

Hi LS.

Glad to have been of help mate.

The buckles and fasteners have all cleaned up good mate.
    The twist fastener looks like the type that was used to close off the early 58ptn water bottle carrier before the later versions went onto using a simple strap and buckle.
    The flat hook in the picture at #31 above, (above the twist fastener), is the attachment hook off a shoulder strap of a 58ptn large pack.
    The 3 flat rings, (3rd row up, on the left), look like the "pull tab loops" from the quick release system for the 58ptn W/E kidney pouches. They could also be part of the pouch closure system from 58ptn ammo pouches (44ptn ones tend to be more square in profile)

Also, just going back to the fire extinguisher, it could also have been a "Pyrexine" type, depending on the age of it.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Those big clips look so familiair "I believe these brass buckles were used to clip the gas mask carry strap to the pouch" they remind me of the ones on those big green kit bags. I can provide a photo if you don't know what I mean, I have one somewhere.

Mouse

?

Quote by dangermouse View Post
    Those big clips look so familiair "I believe these brass buckles were used to clip the gas mask carry strap to the pouch" they remind me of the ones on those big green kit bags. I can provide a photo if you don't know what I mean, I have one somewhere.

Mouse
    Hi DM

The clips on the kit bags were "long and thin". The ones that LS and WH are digging out are the clips from the end of 58ptn large pack shoulder straps, respirator haversack shoulder straps etc.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

yeah can you get a pic up of how they looked

I had a couple of hours spare this weekend so thought Id use them by having a little dig at this site.

Almost immediately I recovered this relic (inert) 2 in Smoke Mortar from the dump, Obviously finding this so soon spurred me on with the digging, but sadly no more were found.

The results of my efforts fresh out of the ground, as expected several British Army Dog tags were recovered (post war) together with an empty gas mask filter. First thoughts were this could be interesting, but cleaning it up I found it's sadly only 50 years old.
    But did you notice the coin? it was found just sitting on the natural soil layer at the bottom of the dump. All it needed was a quick wipe with my thumb and it was back to shiny.

But when I looked closer I was amazed to see it was an Italian coin in good condition but even better it was WW2 (1940) dated
    There have always been local rumours that this site was used as a POW camp following the DDay landings but only German troops have been mentioned, but I've never found any written or for that matter relic evidence to prove this. But maybe, just maybe this small coin is a little connection to that POW period of use?
    As an aside, British silver coloured coins still contained a percentage of silver up until 1947 so I'm wonder if Italian coins were the same, did they contain any silver? I say this because it seems to have that whitish silver colour usually associated with silver in coins?

Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE

I've cleaned the finds and Im pleased with the relic 2 inch smoke Mortar which has come up nice. I've also had a blast at cleaning the tags and have still not finished them all. Many were found on previous visits and have patiently sat in a bucket of water (for months) awaiting their turn .

Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE

I'm sure you probably noticed, but you've got a pair of dogtags there. Both names 'HUNTER' and from what I can see have the same serial number. Nice

Hi DM,
    Good to hear from you and thanks for that spot, I hadnt seen that, what luck that I happened to not only find them but also clean them over the same period so that they were pictured together, they certainly belong together. So I'll sort them out and tie them. In the past Ive found a few still joined and around 6 pairs with the original neck cord still in tact too.
    Ps been following your posts and J's on BDUK, good luck with your searches.
    LS

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast