Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

R.A.F relic found on Omaha beach

Article about: Could someone tell me what this was use for .It has the R.A.F mark on it and also it say aircraft.It was found on the cliff on the top of Omaha Beach If this was use for a aircraft why would

Default Re: R.A.F relic found on Omaha beach

Quote by ILH View Post
    Hi Chris, nice find

If it is from a glider interphone (I wouldn't know) then here's a picture of the Waco end.

As to how it got there, I'm afraid I can only muddy the waters with more possibilities:

The 326th Airborne Engineers, 101st Airborne, landed on D-Day and built an airstrip, called T-1, right by Omaha Beach in 2 days.
    The air photo below is from about D-Day+8 and was prepared for C-47 pilots flying from Grove in England.
    This strip was later used to recover gliders back to England.
    Eventually it was enlarged properly and became Airfield A-21, Coleville-Sur-Mer.

sorry
    jim.
    Great info,the item was found on the cliff in the front of colleville sur mere.this would explain why the item was found in that location .is the location of the airfield at the American cemetery

hey chris maybe youve stumbl;ed upon a bit of glen millers missing bird (joke) it could well be from a light aircraft for forward observation of enemy positions or as someone else said just as easily part of a set for an fac still a cool find though

I only found 2 Britisth item on Omaha beach and this was one of them.

Has anyone thought it could have come from a radio set, in say, an RAF Skytrain (DC-3) which may have flown over and was shot down, the night before d-day? towing gliders or carrying paratroopers, it could come from an AM/CW set, used by british paratroopers. British PTs are an RAF organisation, so perhaps their radio equipment could also come from RAF stockpiles

Interresting info,but the paratroopers where not around Omaha beach the closer they were would be the Point Du Hoc.

circourt
    ?

Hello, I have just come accross this thread and I think that your find may be very significant. There was a Mobile Radar Unit that landed at Omaha Beach on 6th June. There were about 180 men and they suffered considerable losses. 4 MC's and 2 MM's were won that day. I am researching this units history and am creating a web site. Its called The RAF at Omaha Beach. Its very much in its infancy but you can get the basics of what happened. I think your find was part of the radio equipment that 21 BDS took with them. I would be REALLY interested to learn exactly where it was found, as there is a little uncertainty about exactly where on Omaha they landed. Hope to hear from you.

?

Very interesting,Chris you have some very nice treasures.
    Otto

Will send you the info.
    chris

Quote by ILH View Post
    The 326th Airborne Engineers, 101st Airborne, landed on D-Day and built an airstrip, called T-1, right by Omaha Beach in 2 days.
    The air photo below is from about D-Day+8 and was prepared for C-47 pilots flying from Grove in England. Eventually it was enlarged properly and became Airfield A-21, Coleville-Sur-Mer.
    jim.
    Who? what?
    The airstrip A21 was built by the 834th Aviation Engineering Battalion, who were responsible for building Station 161 Matching, Essex. The 834th were awarded a US Presidential citation for bravery having constructed the airstrip under fire.

The 834th, after constructing the ninth AF base at Matching, went to Ireland to train for the specific task of building the first allied airstrip on top of the bluffs overlooking Omaha beach.

American airfields had the designation of 'A', while British airfields had the designation 'B'

See history: IX Engineer Command: 834th Engineer Aviation Battalion (EAB)

Quote by corblimy View Post

Who? what?
    The airstrip A21 was built by the 834th Aviation Engineering Battalion, who were responsible for building Station 161 Matching, Essex. The 834th were awarded a US Presidential citation for bravery having constructed the airstrip under fire.

The 834th, after constructing the ninth AF base at Matching, went to Ireland to train for the specific task of building the first allied airstrip on top of the bluffs overlooking Omaha beach.

American airfields had the designation of 'A', while British airfields had the designation 'B'

See history: IX Engineer Command: 834th Engineer Aviation Battalion (EAB)

Great info.
    Is the monument located at the top of the hill where the second division monument is next to the bunker at the botton of the hill?
    If I am correct this is a new monument.
    chris

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast