Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

R.A.F relic found on Omaha beach

Article about: Could someone tell me what this was use for .It has the R.A.F mark on it and also it say aircraft.It was found on the cliff on the top of Omaha Beach If this was use for a aircraft why would

Default Re: R.A.F relic found on Omaha beach

It was there in 2010 when I visited the site of A-21 Chris. You are right about its location, and that it is a fairly recent addition. I seem to remember talk of it being placed in 2009. I was in contact for three years with one of the American 834th engineers who helped build the site. There is nothing left to mark the place other than this monument, no rubble, traces of construction ect.
    I visited several other Advanced landing grounds in the Normandy area, and apart from the odd bit of PSP runway tracking utilised to repair fences, there is also not a lot left to show of these early allied airfields. a shame really.

Quote by corblimy View Post
    It was there in 2010 when I visited the site of A-21 Chris. You are right about its location, and that it is a fairly recent addition. I seem to remember talk of it being placed in 2009. I was in contact for three years with one of the American 834th engineers who helped build the site. There is nothing left to mark the place other than this monument, no rubble, traces of construction ect.
    I visited several other Advanced landing grounds in the Normandy area, and apart from the odd bit of PSP runway tracking utilised to repair fences, there is also not a lot left to show of these early allied airfields. a shame really.
    I saw it in 2009 .
    Not much left at all of the airfields.
    chris

?

I hope you don't mind but I overlaid ILH's photo over a current day google earth image.

US Military Cemetery is at the bottom of the photo. Not exact (okay it is bad) but it gives you an idea of where it was located. I can't seem to find my photoshop software to make it transparent.

R.A.F relic found on Omaha beach
    Last edited by onaway; 12-23-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added comment

I like it.
    chris

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4