Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

RAF airbase dump - New site and a new dump !!

Article about: Hi All I went on a recon trip today with three sites to look at with a view to getting permission for the RRPG to dig them. I only needed to visit one site as I got permission on my first at

Default RAF airbase dump - New site and a new dump !!

Hi All

I went on a recon trip today with three sites to look at with a view to getting permission for the RRPG to dig them. I only needed to visit one site as I got permission on my first attempt !!!

I arrived on site and had a look at the dump area that I had prevfiously ID'd. It was strewn with brocken crockery and bottles, with obvious signs of plenty of digging. My car was parked right next to the site and it wasn't long before somebody stopped to see what I was up to. Introducing myself, they took me to an industrial site, (OOoooer mrs !), to meet their boss who would know who owned the land. We got there and he wasn't in so I left mildly depressed. Turning the corner I saw a farmer pootling about so pulled into his drive and spoke to him. He directed me to the land owner but warned me that he would probably not give permission.

With trepidation I made my way to the house and was amazed to find it was huge with a tree lined driveway of some considerable length leading to it. Outside the gate was a big sign declaring the site to be owned by English heritage and a phone number. Two minutes later I had persuaded the person in the office to contact the landowner to get him to ring me. She rang back a couple of minutes later and said that the landowners wife was coming to meet me. Sure enough, a couple of minutes later, a car appeared at the end of the driveway and, 2 minutes later, (yes.....it is THAT long), a lovely lady greeted me and I went through my little pre-prepared speech. She told me I needed to talk to her husband and promptly gave me his number. Long and short is, 15 minutes later I had secured permission for the GROUP to dig the site !!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only that, but I asked if I could survey the site myself there and then, and got permission for that to !

So, I only did about 2hrs of surface hunting and a small amount of 'surface scraping' to determine what kind of stuff was in the dump.

Amazing........totally AMAZING !!!

Close up of the finds from this one little session......this site is going to be AMAZING.

First off, a couple of bits of crockery to show it is indeed the airfield dump.

Flare cartridges. Loads of them.

303s and quite a few bits of AM marked stuff.

20mm links, a No 28 bomb pistol firing pin and three small discs, one of which has dial markings on it. Can't wait to clean it !

More evidence it is the airfield dump. Merlin engine exhaust port gaskets.

Glim lamp disc and a shaving cream tube

Onto the best finds of the day. Top is the bottom portion of an 858 bomb nose pistol. All the other bits are actually the arming vane portion from the same bomb pistol. Some still have their covers on, some have lost the cover and some of the vanes. GREAT finds !

More of them. The tall one on the left is a complete top section piece.

Here is a picture (annotated) to show what the complete pistol looks like. Note the cap on the top !

No 28/30 bakelite bomb pistol covers. These were sat in a pile on the surface !!! Someone had dug them and either been looking for bottles, or just didn't know what they were !!

And the finds of the day.........14 No 28/30 bakelite bomb pistols

And here is a picture of a sectioned one....

I'll keep you posted on the group dig when it goes ahead.

Steve T

Default Re: RAF airbase dump - New site and a new dump !!

Top result!!! Looks like a very promising site.

Regards

Martin

well done.

?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Glim lamp disc and a shaving cream tube

Some sort of engine bearing cap or big end cap at the top Steve?

Yes....sorry...forgot about that bit in my excitement over the pistols. Relatively light alloy so not entirely confident but I'll give it a clean over the next day or two and picture it again

There are a few more interesting metal chunks I brought home that are in the main picture but not close up. I'll sort those as well and re-post

Good post Mate and Good work, you're going to be busy cleaning that little lot .
    LS

It looks like there is some vehicle parts as I see what looks like a burman or BSA gearbox selector

Nice finds and so many,have you got your planning application in for that extension yet?

We're going to need a bigger cabinet!

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    It looks like there is some vehicle parts as I see what looks like a burman or BSA gearbox selector
    I was thinking that!....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast