Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

RAF Airfield finds

Article about: Oh, and by the way, that aircraft instrument panel you gave me at Chatham, finally got ID'd by PB, and I quote...... ' The 66834 93VM504 LL 6 blanking plate marking indicates Vickers Varsity

?

Thumbs up RAF Airfield finds

After a few years away from the hobby,I thought I would get back into it.I decided to field walk a local airfield which is now under construction into an housing estate.
    Poking about in the hedges i found,A 20mm shell case,Cog from a gunsight,Piece of airframe,Gunsight bulb,A piece of instrument panel and an un-identified bracket.
    The panel is I believe from a Mosquito but need some help on the bracket,A browning gun mount ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Airfield finds  

Default Re: RAF Airfield finds

Not bad for eyeball only Has the alloy piece with the holes in it got any stamped markings on it ?

Great stuff, reminds me of when i used to go digging on Burtonwood!...

?

The piece looks like it could be a trim tab or similar,There is what looks like a circle with possibly a G99 stamped inside and also stamped on it is P30522.

?

Another trip to the airfield and after a couple of hours sifting through the construction workers spoil heap a few more items to the collection.
    There was a lot of rubbish to sort through,Coke cans and modern day rubbish,But worth it in the end.
    This time,A set of magneto switches,These are the long stem ones,So probably from a twin engine type.Also a bomb shape template,Which I assume would be for stenciling mission markers on the aircraft.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Airfield finds  

Nice little finds. The AM marked piece is a great little find, as is the bomb stencil

Just in case you weren't aware, bottom left is a Merlin engine exhaust stub gasket. It has asbestos sandwiched between the brass bits so go careful with it

?

Yes,I am aware of the asbestos threat,But Thank you anyway,There were a few of these there,Only picked up this one as it is straight and still sealed.
    AM piece came up really nice,Not sure what it is off,Will try and find out.

?

A couple of more finds,At first I precided with caution when I saw the .303's in the ground,But after looking I saw that they were armourers rounds.
    They have cleaned up nicely and I found some browning links in the shed,So decided to place them in these to keep them together.They are marked R L D VI
    The panel,Not sure at the moment what this is,It is Aluminium with a Stainless insert and an Iron hook through it.
    The Stainless part is marked with Z9828 issue and in a circle stamp L R E 11.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Airfield finds   RAF Airfield finds  

RAF Airfield finds   RAF Airfield finds  

RAF Airfield finds   RAF Airfield finds  

The bottom piece is a Mosquito Cannon bay door latch, part number DHA-B.98316A 98 being the type number for DH98 Mosquito

Avspecs - Mosquito Parts Wanted

?

Quote by corblimy View Post
    The bottom piece is a Mosquito Cannon bay door latch, part number DHA-B.98316A 98 being the type number for DH98 Mosquito

Avspecs - Mosquito Parts Wanted

Thank you.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast