Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

RAF Airfield finds

Article about: Oh, and by the way, that aircraft instrument panel you gave me at Chatham, finally got ID'd by PB, and I quote...... ' The 66834 93VM504 LL 6 blanking plate marking indicates Vickers Varsity

?

Oh, and by the way, that aircraft instrument panel you gave me at Chatham, finally got ID'd by PB, and I quote...... ' The 66834 93VM504 LL 6 blanking plate marking indicates Vickers Varsity, 668 being the type identifier for the Varsity. Checking the relevant pilots manual confirms it's a Varsity centre instrument panel'

[/QUOTE]

Thats great news Steve,All you need now are the instruments to fill the holes.

?

Any more recent luck at the site? Like M3bobby said, those crutch arms are a nice find and I find it funny even after all these years despite how far technology has moved on that bombs are still held in place on fast jets as they were back in the day!

?

Not had a chance to return yet,But sadly very limited space is left now and finding permission may also be hard,But will try again soon.
    The crutch arms are nice,Just need one more to make a set.

?

I hope you manage to keep digging there as the relics you've been finding are amazing. And hopefully you're able to find a final set of crutch arms before the site is lost forever.

Jon

?

As I was passing the site today,I thought I would pop over and see what ground is left,Sadly even less than I thought.
    While looking around I saw these two items on the surface,Any ideas as to what they are ?

RAF Airfield finds

LOL !!!

Yes........ service safety fuze Percussion ignitors...... Mark III to be exact Great finds !!!

***edit***

Give them a good clean. They will say 'Mk III' on them and may also give you the manufacturer and date Usually on the main barrel body

?

Steve, they look very similar to the type used by the US forces today! Funny how some things don't really change over time!

?

Thanks Steve

Initial cleaning has found stamped on it

BB 5 51 k M3

Garry

Hi, Great finds. In post #23 pics 3 & 7 the green panel looks like someone has started to etch their name P/O L N? Thats a Pilot Officer so if you are able to read the name it could be possible to trace the person. Very interesting to find out who it was.

?

Hi,Yes a P/o name with Sqn,Escapes me at the moment,Did try and trace him,But sadly I found nothing about him.

Garry

- - Updated - -

Hi,Yes a P/o name with Sqn,Escapes me at the moment,Did try and trace him,But sadly I found nothing about him.

Garry

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast