Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF base domestic dump - Feb 2014

Article about: Hi All I got word that the land on which an old RAF base dump was sited was going to be redeveloped within a matter of days, so organised an impromptu dig at the site. We had a great turn ou

Default RAF base domestic dump - Feb 2014

Hi All

I got word that the land on which an old RAF base dump was sited was going to be redeveloped within a matter of days, so organised an impromptu dig at the site. We had a great turn out with some great finds.

The RAF base concerned is very well known, and the dump appears to be almost entirely 'domestic' in nature. However, it makes a nice change from digging up ordnance and has resulted in some nice additions to my War Room

Nice weather and great company......one of the best digs I've been on and I hardly did any swearing at all !!! A first !

Here are my finds from the trip.

A little stoneware pot, (possibly an ink jar?), and a little cold cream pot. We found lots of 'feminine' stuff there, probably from the WAAFs on the base.

Two nicely marked bottles, one being 'Roboleine', and old fashioned tonic and cure-all

Marmite !!! 1oz and 2oz jars Just what I needed to complete my set

A Craven A ashtray, that is apparently good for your throat.

Sobering to think of this perhaps being in the ready room, used by pilots just before going out on an intercept mission.

And here is half a cigarette case, from which they took the fag to smoke and use the ashtray. Maybe

A funny little bottle, possibly eyewash, the remains of a Cupie doll, what I think is either a posh perfume pot lid or possibly a pull for a light switch and a toothbrush, unfortunately not WD marked or dated.

Three interesting items.....

Made by Joseph Lucas of Birmingham, part of a carbide lamp, nicely marked

What I think may be a matchstick container, or possibly little mints? Snuff? Nice little item.

A lens, possibly off a torch, or more 'romantically' off an aircraft navigation light

RAF belt buckles, just in case we were in any doubt about the source of the rubbish in the dump.

And lastly, one complete but badly fire damaged NAAFI mug and two almost complete ones A great addition to my collection.

Hope you like the finds.

We recovered thousands of bottles as well, but they hold little interest for me..........I prefer the military stuff

Laters

Steve T

Great find's! Love the old bottles! I don't think that lens is aircraft but you never know..

Excellent !

Thanks guys. Yeah......probably not aircraft but I can dream

Thumbs up

Superb finds - well done ! Sometimes I think these everyday items are more poignant than the more 'spectacular' airfield finds.

So do I Martin, although I still like ordnance more

A pic of my finds for the first dig with your group.

Two complete NAAFI cups, two dessert spoons , one Air Ministry one NAAFI, a glass bowl, two forked control rod ends bearing the stamp SP7/GLSS and a round stamp with IP over V2. As in my other post, a section of newspaper that survived (not photographed) that has the report of German troops entering Czechoslovakia, this dates that part of the dump to April 1939, all the above finds were in the same level as that newspaper section.

A clear plastic 'thing' that had a stainless steel washer inside,, well, you can see for yourself in the photo. Never seen anything like it before, not my find, but abandoned by whoever dug it out.
    A good day out and good to meet some of you.
    Denis.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF base domestic dump - Feb 2014  

Great finds Those NAAFI mugs are in great condition

?

The "perfume" bottle could be from a chaplain's portable communion set - My father was a clergyman and had a set with very similar bottles.

But just to bring you down again, I think the lens is of a torch

Heres a picture of the two cruddy crusted spoons that i found at the RAF dump, they have both been cleaned by a good friend. Somewhat of a difference from when they were found as in the previous post.

The NAAFI spoon is made by 'Turners Hygenic' whilst the Air ministry example is a Mappin & Webb and dated 1937
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF base domestic dump - Feb 2014   RAF base domestic dump - Feb 2014