Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Recent finds from a WW2 UK Airfield.

Article about: Here are the results of a recent dig, Im sorry I havent had a chance to wash them yet but thoiught you'd like to see them before washing. They came from a UK Airfield's WW2 rubbish tip. This

Default Re: Recent finds from a WW2 UK Airfield.

Hi Steve
    Thanks again for finding that, you are correct with the number although the Pat No is then followed by another 2154294 ? not sure whether this is a further patent or perhaps improvement on the first I wouldn't know. But judging by the size of the beast it must have come off a very large tyre and I'm assuming an aircraft. Next time I'm at an aviation museum you can guess what I'll be checking out.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Jan
    ?

Grats once again

I've been busy again washing and photographing more finds. If you can identify or add any more information please let me know.
    Thank you.

16) I'm not sure what this shock absorber is off, It is made up of a hollow tube that doesn't compress now, however this could be due to the rusting. It has an oil/grease nipple for lubrication. It is made up of 7 individual thick rubber washers divided by 6 aluminium discs (note one is slightly bent and debris is embeded in the rubber). The end two disc's are steel.
    17) This picture was taken to show a different angle highlighting the discs and also showing traces of the original green paint.
    18) Close up showing the discs and rubber washers.
    19) Close up showing the other end with traces of the original yellow paint.

LUCKYSTRIKE.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Recent finds from a WW2 UK Airfield.   Recent finds from a WW2 UK Airfield.  

Recent finds from a WW2 UK Airfield.   Recent finds from a WW2 UK Airfield.  

jdwnielsen
    ?

great finds!

20) Although I've identified this part (see photo 22a) I don't know what its called. To describe its use it's the control (to raise/lower) the tail plane flap?. This picture shows both sides sadly there's been extensive corrosion (not helped by peices of newspaper I found stuck to it but sadly I couldn't read them) but luckily quite a bit of the original paint remains.
    21) Close up showing various images highlighting the original paint, rivets and rivet holes. The ruler is showing the line of original green to yellow paint ie what was external/internal to the tail.
    22) Parts of the original plywood strengthners remain.
    22a) I took this photograph a while ago at the Airborne museum in St Mere Eglise, Normandy it shows the tail plane with the peice in position. Sadly this was the only picture I took at the museum that had camera shake, typical but you get the idea of its use.

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Recent finds from a WW2 UK Airfield.   Recent finds from a WW2 UK Airfield.  

23) Here are various bottles including 2 original ink bottles with one still half full of ink, A nice medicine bottle with green bakelite lid and an external treament medicine (like iodine), marked NOT TO BE TAKEN.
    24) Various other finds including a large gasket, a couple of peices of air skin one painted with a light blue grey colour and the other a red brown. There's the brass bottom section of a starter cartridge and various other parts.
    25) Originally I wasn't going to post this picture but have identified the part, its the dust cap from the centre of a WACO CG4A glider wheel, see picture below the hole in the top is to seat the clip that holds it in position.
    26) This picture was taken of the original Waco Glider on display at the Airborne Museum St Mere Eglise Normandy. The cap is marked with a red cross.

Thank you, now there isn't too much left to wash so I think it's time I thought about visiting the site again. When I do I'll put the pictures on as a separate thread.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2