Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Recover of a Stg.III

Article about: Thanks for the link Regards to all, Simon.

Default Re: Recover of a Stg.III

Thanks for the link
    Regards to all, Simon.

Now then gents,

On the original thread I seem to remember there being another picture of "that" Stug or a link to it. There was also mention of the unit having reported "2 guns missing".

Did anyone else happen to notice the numbers on the sides of the Stug / Stugs shown on those pictures?

Or... am I just seeing things and being behind in the class?

Not in anyway trying to be offensive, it's a genuine question.

Martyn.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Recover of a Stg.III  

Martyn,
    There was mention that the crew members side arm that is in your last picture was never handed in to the authorities. That photo was the 'proof' that the gun had been recovered with the Stug.
    Reagrds to all, Simon.

Ah... erm... wasn't trying to bring up any bad press there but I wasn't aware of that. Thankyou Simon. Let's just hope it was deactivated then.

I think that the report of "2 guns missing" was the original tank units after action report. i.e the tank is refered to as a gun and so 2 tanks were missing. I wasn't refering to the MP40 and perhaps could have used a different photo. My mistake there, sorry.

Back to the original question of the tank numbers though (20 & 21), was that supposedly the same tank? If not, is it the second one that was M.I.A. ?

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

I read somewhere that the StuG's number was changed for what reason i don't know? Dimas posted a lot of information on this recovery and the subsequent complicated history a year or more back. Does anyone remember the thread?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ahhh... Thanks Ned. I had seen the original thread but not the subsequent history. It was reading about this Stug that caused me to join WRF in the first place so I guess it's become a favourite of mine.

Changing the number seems a little strange though but I guess that if it's been properly documented then there's little chance of the artefacts history being lost or mistaken.

Think I'll start trawling through the old threads for that one you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Martyn.

(P.S. Ned, love the Pratchett quote!)

Gun Bunny
    ?

Recover of a Stg.III
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Recover of a Stg.III  

Thankyou Gun Bunny.

Having great fun (ahem), trawling old threads but keep getting distracted by other non-related ones ha-ha!

Martyn.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2