Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Recovered from the beach near Pointe Du Hoc

Article about: I recovered this from the beach near Pointe Du Hoc recently. It's heavy steel, weighs about 18 pounds. It was suggested by a local museum curator that it's from a landing craft, but I have n

Default Recovered from the beach near Pointe Du Hoc

I recovered this from the beach near Pointe Du Hoc recently. It's heavy steel, weighs about 18 pounds. It was suggested by a local museum curator that it's from a landing craft, but I have not been able to positively ID it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Recovered from the beach near Pointe Du HocRecovered from the beach near Pointe Du HocRecovered from the beach near Pointe Du Hoc
    -Eric

The shoe doesn't look ww2 era, but more post war.

Post war French fishing boat last 15 to 20 years.
    chris

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Post war French fishing boat last 15 to 20 years.
    chris
    Which part of the fishing boat?

Hey Chris,
    what are you basing that on? It could be, but I'd like to be certain. My gut and a Normandy museum curator tell me it's war era.

Take a very close look for any serial numbers or stampings...My first thought is that it's part of a Jeep's floorboard.
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Recovered from the beach near Pointe Du Hoc  

Hi Glenn,
    Thanks, no stamps or other markings. The steel is heavier gauge than Jeep (or WC, CCKW, DUKW for that matter) I have extensive experience with WWII vehicles and and it's nothing from any vehicles I am familiar with. I'm fairly certain it's marine in nature. It's heavy steel and the reinforcements, or skids ( or whatever those are) are solid bar stock welded onto the sheet metal.

I am basing this on my experiences relic hunting on Omaha beach for years and knowing how metal should look after being in the salty waters for 70 years. Who was the curator? The more I look at it ,I am 100% sure not ww2.
    chris