Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relic German sign

Article about: The Aussie dollar stinks at the moment!!! At 74c to the US\\$ and 68c to the Euro + long distances to ship makes collecting no fun at all – so one has to be resourceful and selective. But, thi

Default Relic German sign

The Aussie dollar stinks at the moment!!!
    At 74c to the US$ and 68c to the Euro + long distances to ship makes collecting no fun at all – so one has to be resourceful and selective.

But, this bullet riddled porcelain sign caught my eye recently and helped empty some cash from my pockets!

Relic German signRelic German signRelic German signRelic German signRelic German signRelic German signRelic German sign

Measuring around 30cm x 20cm, the wording once read ‘HOCHSPANNUNG - VORSICHT! – LEBENSGEFAHR’ … which roughly translated is ‘HIGH VOLTAGE – CAUTION - LIFE HAZARD’

Here is what it once would have looked like …

Relic German sign

Often you will see these signs advertised as coming from “concentration camp perimeter fences” which is a load of hooey……. they are simply warning signs used where either a fence is electrified or there is high voltage electrical equipment within ( like a power station or substation etc… ) This sort of signage with the same wording is still in use today ( in plastic ) so while one of these enameled ones dates from decades past, if you see one don’t be swayed into thinking that it is wartime when in fact it could well be made in later years.

Having said that, where I became interested is when I saw the bullet holes, corrosion and crazed porcelain. Call me a sucker if you will but unless this was Cold War troops doing target practice in the 1960’s, small arms fire from automatic weapons has NOT been heard in Germany for many, many decades so I have a good feeling that this one may very well be wartime.

That said, I can easily visualise Russian 7.62mm rounds from PPSH-41 & PPS-43’s whacking into this sign in the closing stages of the battle for Berlin.

Well, I can dream ...and it WILL look good on my wall ….. hope you all like it too?
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Love that!!!!!!!! That will standout in a collection!

?

Very nice mate

someone had nothing better to do.lol.

I thought that this thread may have promoted a bit more comment - not because of the sign (as while items like this appeal to me they don't to all ) but maybe some discussion on the fiscal situation of collecting in these unstable economic times? 49 members ( mods n' all ) have viewed this but only a few have left comments - maybe it is business as usual for the northern hemisphere members & I am the only one facing austerity measures?...... oops, I mentioned the war

I thought you Aussies's were doing alright exporting most of your country's raw materials to the insatiable Chinese ??

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    I thought you Aussies's were doing alright exporting most of your country's raw materials to the insatiable Chinese ??
    Lol ... thing is that the Chinese are losing some of their appetite for Aussie raw material. As Europe is watching Greece, we are watching what China markets are up to.

Perhaps the Chinese stockpiles are a little too high it seems !

?

Hey Dan,

Your new sign may be in relic condition but I love the caracter that it has!

Hummel

Was this one that was on eBay recently? If not, there was one out there that was just about the same. Love it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast