Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relic hunting without metal detectors

Article about: Where are you exactly ?

Default Relic hunting without metal detectors

So yeah, I'm a student, so I cannot afford buying metal detectors (But somehow I always find money for militaria from Varusteleka, hmmm....), and theres this GREAT forest behind our house which has some places that look like dump sites and trenches, but I don't have a metal detector so I will have to just randomly start digging at a spot surrounded by mosquitos, which is very annoying after a while without finding anything. Any tips?

Oh, and by the way, as the germans were burning Lapland, they left some buildings as they were, except ravaging the insides and stuff... Among one of these, believe it or not, is our sauna. It was last summer transformed into a sauna, basically adding the necessities inside and putting new wood planks on top of the shell of the building. the door is still the same, as it was pretty hard to cover in planks, and it has some wartime paper clippings on it too, but they are pretty fragile so I don't mind ripping them off, and they are family history.

Default Re: Relic hunting without metal detectors

Did you tried to explore this forest with eyes wide open??
    Sorry,poor joke...

Hi Zuken,
    Perhaps a good start would be to research your area.Look at photographs,maps any documents that might relate to the area you wish to search.If anything it will narrow any search area.Maybe you could take a few pics and show us what you see? I wish you luck

Zuken

The old Mark I eyeball is the best searching tool in the world. This thread gives you some tips, and applies to searching by any method.

Searching tips

And this one may also help...

Tips on how to gain permission to dig.

Above all, train your eyes to pick out the unusual, the straight edge, the item out of place in the surroundings.......huge quantities of stuff are still on the surface waiting for the right person to walk along!

Steve T

Oh...one other thing. We have a shop in England called 'Maplins' and they sell MDs for 50 euros. They are cheap and basic but do the job very well. I took my brother to a site, him using one of these, me using my 300 euro MD. He found as much as me !!!!

Have a look in your discount electronics store, I'm sure they will sell cheap MDs.

Steve T

PS For every item you find on the surface there will be 10 beneath it underground.....you don't want to miss these

Thanks for the tips. I plan to do more digging today when I get insect repellent from the store. The site which I am talking about is tactically a perfect location for a camp. Our fields have been here for around 100 years, so they where there during the war, so I think I should go poking around when we've done ploughing the fields.

Quote by Zuken View Post
    I think I should go poking around when we've done ploughing the fields.
    Exactly! , when I was in Belgium with my school a few years ago I had a quick look in this ploughed field when the tour guide was blabbing on and noticed a few shell fragments

All the pieces in this thread were found without a metal detector: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battl...y-range-66440/ a combination of digging in likely areas and just looking at the ground worked very well

Thanks and good luck

Danny

So I spent about 2 hours digging surrounded by mosquitos, only wearing a t-shirt, Bundeswehr flecktarn camo pants and US jungle combat boots, and I didnt find anything. Pictures of the places I dug:

EDIT: sorry about the quality, took them with my cellphone while keeping the bugs off my face
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic hunting without metal detectors   Relic hunting without metal detectors  

Relic hunting without metal detectors   Relic hunting without metal detectors  

Relic hunting without metal detectors  

There will be stuff there. I can make out what look like trenches and the remains of a small bunker or large foxhole. Unfortunately, you will need an MD to concentrate your efforts.

Don't give up !

Have you thought about hiring an MD ? Some companies hire them out, or even your local MD club ?

Steve T

We don't have any clubs or stores that could hire me a MD, so I have to save money so I can order one from online

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast