Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Relics from Arnhem

Article about: Hi Guys, over the past 14 years I have been visiting Arnhem at least once a year, sometimes more than that. The battle is a particular interest of mine as you might have guessed. These are a

Grutte Pier
    ?

Thumbs up Re: Relics from Arnhem

Quote by david83 View Post
    iam from holland smal town near groningen the place where i life called haren
    Thanks for replying, I’m from Drachten Friesland, as you probably will know also not that far from Groningen city. I’m very interested in the WWII history of the province of Groningen, especially in the battles for the cities of Groningen en Delftzijl in April/May 1945.

david83
    ?

Default Re: Relics from Arnhem

kunnen we net zo goed hollands typen gaat een stuk makklijker

david83
    ?

vraagje : on the road to drachten if you com from groningen a7 you see on the left some bunkers one of it got a drawing of the simpsons tho you know if that are bunkers from wo2 en what ther function was if was germans

Grutte Pier
    ?

Lightbulb Re: Relics from Arnhem

Quote by david83 View Post
    vraagje : on the road to drachten if you com from groningen a7 you see on the left some bunkers one of it got a drawing of the simpsons tho you know if that are bunkers from wo2 en what ther function was if was germans
    Hello David, its an international forum so we keep it in English, that way our fellow forum members understand where we talk about. I know that bunker site very well, its called Trimunt and was one of the bigger Luftwaffe radar stations in our country, just like you had the Luftwaffe radar base ‘Tiger’ on Terschelling and ‘Gazelle’ in Veendam, you had ‘Loewe’ here at Trimunt (little hamlet near the village of Marum). They all formed a network with other Luftwaffe radar stations like for example Son and Delen airfield. The function of those radar bases where to track down allied plains on there route to Germany and to send German fighter planes to intercept them, for example the night interceptors from Leeuwarden airfield. That answers your question if those bunkers are WWII, they are indeed, only very sad that they don’t do any thing with them than to shelter cattle and sheep. The motorway Groningen-Drachten splits the bunker site in two, on the other site there are more bunkers and shelters, that site is used by a motorcycle club to have drag-races on, you can still visit it though.

1945 dated Boiled sweets in bought for a £1 at Beltring. Ground dug at Arnhem but dating from the 1945 liberation era. No reason to disbelieve the seller as he only mentioned it once I bought it.

I had not seen this pattern tin before. Similar to the Pacific ration tins, which it may be part of?

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relics from Arnhem  

Grutte Pier
    ?

Thumbs up Re: Relics from Arnhem

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    1945 dated Boiled sweets in bought for a £1 at Beltring. Ground dug at Arnhem but dating from the 1945 liberation era. No reason to disbelieve the seller as he only mentioned it once I bought it.

I had not seen this pattern tin before. Similar to the Pacific ration tins, which it may be part of?

Cheers, Ade.
    Great find Ade, just like we discussed by PM before, these “smaller” items do make a collection or display complete, just because they are still affordable you can enjoy them even more, thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Grutte Pier; 07-23-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Hmm, I once donated some B-24 parts from the "Heaven Can Wait" to the Museum in Arnheim. Alas, the parts never went on display and now cannot be relocated. The B-24 went down on 18 September 44 on a supply dropping mission to the Nijmegen DZ. One man is still MIA. Danny

ace
    ?

brill pics would love to go there what group are you in its just the pics show about 30 of you all dressed in paras gear thanks rob

Hi Rob, I am with "Summer of '44" LHG. I actually founded the group.

Cheers, Ade.

Warhunter
    ?

nice finds, I live in Holland and I found also some nice things in Arnhem or Nijmegen.
    see my site.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast