Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

RRPG Big Dig Weekend, Finds!

Article about: Just want to say a big thank you to Steve T for organising this amazing event, Id say a good time was had by all with amazing finds seeing the light of day. Im still chilled to the bone (fre

Default Re: RRPG Big Dig Weekend, Finds!

Steve

It ain't a Hawkins mine is it ?

Ok. Got stuff cleaned

Items recovered from the WW2 USAAF dump first of all.

Odds and ends. Kept them 'just in case'.

A nice padlock, a razor handle and a bulb. From an aircraft maybe ?

Ruddles beer ! Not dated but was 5 feet down so must have been wartime.

This bottle is great. Again not dated but 'Lucky Tiger' for hair and scalp just makes me think that someone putting this on actually thought it increased their pulling power ! Or maybe it did.........

......as it was made all the way back in Kansas City

Merlin engine exhaust stub gaskets.

An engine valve. I was hoping for some markings and found some ! I got quite excited to begin with, imagining the words 'Rolls Royce' or 'Merlin' coming through the grime. But sadly it was not to be..........

..........bloody FORD !

A couple of group shots of the various tubes found on the day. The act of rolling them up meant some of them are almost perfectly preserved and as good as the day they went in the ground !

Lots of different sorts of toothpaste, all WW2 era or earlier.

Not tracked this little bugger down yet, (I need a 1948 Martindale.....), but it is sat in a sealed box in the garage until I determine just how 'poisonous' it is. I have already worked out it contains mercury.....

Now this is brilliant ! 'Prophylactic ointment'. And yes, it does mean that kind of prophylactic, but not what you think. It was actually a prophylaxis against VD !!!!

Tea ration tins.

A 30cal pull through, bit corroded but a nice find.

Last but not least, cartidges. 50cal and 303. Also found a couple of 50cal links 'welded' to a rusty item.

50cal headstamp

303 headstamps. Bit feint but all are 1944 dated.

And that's it for my finds. Some of the other guys will post soon I'm sure and had some fantastic finds !

Steve T

?

Ruddles, nice beer that,local brewery to me, or was should I say before one of the big chains bought them

Lucky Tiger still exists in the US and celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2010......

"Lucky Tiger's roots go back to 1927 when P.S. Harris, an amateur scientist, and popular barber in Kansas City, Missouri, created a tonic for the hair and scalp in his basement. He called it Lucky Tiger Tonic. Everyone who visited P.S.’s Barbershop would look forward to their shave, haircut and a generous splash of Lucky Tiger Tonic. It was different and better than other tonics used in those days, and customers from miles around would rave about its soothing effect. As the story goes, P.S.- began to sell the tonic out of his shop, and a few years later, a business associate convinced him that his special tonic would be a big hit in barbershops across the country. So, in 1935, Lucky Tiger was trademarked, and a classic American brand was officially born"

And now for the finds from the army dump.

As I said earlier, the digging was really tough going, especially considering the weather. We also had to keep stopping to either get Dave out of a hole, or stop him laughing any more stitches loose.

A few buckles up first.

And now, especially for you GaskmasksUK, (Danny), we stumbled on an area FULL of gasmask parts. A lot were beyond recovery but we did manage to retrieve and preserve some. Lots of filter parts and handfuls of eyepieces. I even found what I think is the clip for ataching the hose to the filter, but Danny will know for sure

A close up of some parts. This one is dated 6/38.

This one is dated 3/37 and is also marked ENFT (or ENET) and the Roman numeral IV. What's it all mean Danny ?

This one was nice as the housing has survived.......JUST ! Dated 9/41 and has Roman numeral V and WBG. I assume the Roman numeral is the 'mark' and the lettering the manufacturer.

Spare eye piece glass ?

Various bits here, some need IDing. The No. 1 Lee-Enfield end is obvious as is the handle from a Vickers tripod. But what are the other bits? The bolt is very small, much smaller than an LE bolt. Anyone know what it's off ?

A really nice bayonet scabbard chape. I thought it may be from a Springfield scabbard or maybe a Garand but can't find an exact match. Do you know ?

These Browning MG belt starter tabs have come up nicely. The little bottle I thought was an LE oil bottle but it is too small and thin. It is marked 'PH' on the bottom , (Parker Hale ?), but what weapon is it from ?

Last but by no means least, an item from LUCKYSTRIKE's spoil heap He kindly let me take it as he hadn't spotted it (Thanks LS ). Looks like a handle off a WW1 German butcher bayo but it could also be a Japanese bayo. What do you think ?

And that's it from me. LOTS more to come from the others though

Steve T

Hey Guys,
    Nice finds again, Love the lucky tiger bottle (it suits you Steve )
    Also the bayo, but it is not a butcher(handel and the barrel piece are not correct) I would think 1st WW as you but a brittish Quillion bayo maybe?( just checked it isn't a quillion either)
    Found a match and it said old bavarian seitengewehr. 3rd from the top.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RRPG Big Dig Weekend, Finds!  
    Last edited by WW2Hunter; 05-02-2012 at 03:55 PM.

the bayonet scabbard chape looks very much like the ones on the P1855 lancaster bayonet

All very nice finds, the gas mask parts especially What you assume about the parts is correct, "V" and "VI" mean MkV and MkIV referring to the type of mask and the lettering is for the manufacturer, I'll see if I can find my notebook that contains what the lettering means I'm pretty sure the clip/hose clamp isn't from a gas mask though as its too large in diameter, the point where the hose attaches to the filter is near enough identical to where it attaches to the exhale/inhale assembly.

Thanks

Danny

Thanks for the ID help guys

?

I think spotter is right , it does look like a Lancaster scabbard chape, and the gasmask piece is the securing ring to attach the canvas covered rubber hose

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast