Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

RRPG Club dig 19.08.12 'Army Dump' Finds!

Article about: Hi all, had a really hot day on site yesterday. But some good finds made as always All my finds ready to be cleaned Really pleased to find some MKIV Sten stocks, i have plenty so if anybody

?

Default Re: RRPG Club dig 19.08.12 'Army Dump' Finds!

Hooked Quillion on Enfield Bayonet

Quote .....

1907 Pattern Bayonet with Scabbard

This bayonet was patented in 1907 (hence the title of 1907 Pattern) after a series of trials of various bayonet types. There is a clear influence upon this pattern of bayonet with regards to the Japanese Arisaka Type 30 bayonet, bearing in mind that all British made bayonets after 1913 were manufactured without the characteristic "hooked quillion". The initial production started in January 1908 and had the curved Quillion (as did the Ariska bayonet). The company "Enfield" was by far the most prolific producer of this bayonet, however a large quantity was also produced by companies - Wilkinson, Sanderson and Chapman. Examples by Vickers and Mole were also produced, however not in as great a number as the previous manufacturers and these bayonets are now becoming quite collectable.

Thanks zolder. With all those BESA ammo boxes everywhere, I usually jump to the wrong conclusion

?

So wheres the Cecil B DeTaylor Zebruder home movie then?????

Didn't do enough filming to make one

Hi Gary,
    Thanks for the interesting info on the Bayonets type much appreciated.
    Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Beautiful finds there chaps,but tell me:is the ground so acid or all this stuff has been burnt ?
    Plus:some pics of your wonderful boiled-lobster-aspect-skin could be nice...

Most stuff was burnt seb. In fact, a lot of stuff comes up welded together in massive clumps !! You have to find the patch that didn't get too hot to get the half decent finds

Cleaned some stuff

Gasmask front end. Dated 1937. Only given this an electric wire brush so far.

RRPG Club dig 19.08.12 'Army Dump'  Finds!

The whistle. Again, just a wire brushing.

You may recall the condition of the butt plate, drill round and No.1 front end, but here's a before shot to remind you.....

....and then after 2 days in vinegar, scrub with heavy duty scourer and then a brillo pad.

Same with the no. 1 end

Last but by no means least, the 1907 pattern bayonet. All I've done with this is wire brushed the major crap off. As you can see, it has been eaten through in two spots close to the handle so I dare not clean it any more. What I have managed to clean though has given it some real character

More to come when it is cleaned.

?

The No/1 end has really come up, mind you I take credit for part of that, being the Phantom rust knocker of the dump, but the 1907 looks pretty fragile, good job i did'nt get my hands on that!!! but still a nice piece especially that it still has the wood on the grips, how about the starter tab is that still soaking and the bolt

The starter tab had taken considerable fire damage.....it won't stand going in the vinegar. Bolts I just leave for a couple of weeks. The water under the rust evaporates and 'pushes' the surface rust off. Easiest cleaning method for these

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast