Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

RRPG dig - British Army Dump - 10th September 2011

Article about: The two items that you thought were trigger guages, on the photo of the Vickers, just below the traversing platform and to the front, there is a very similar looking piece except for the rou

Default Re: RRPG dig - British Army Dump - 10th September 2011

Nice finds DM. I love the LE discs.

Now onto another bit of excellent detective work..........by me !!!! (you have to blow your own trumpet. It's rare for anyone else to do so !).

I have finally tracked down a picture of the inside of a PIAT trigger mechanism and ID'd yet another bit from the dump In fact, I ended up having to buy the PIAT manual for a tenner.......but it was worth it

Here are the bits I got that I've finished cleaning. You will note the two triggers, IDd at the Victory show a few weeks back. And the other bits we thought were from a PIAT mechanism DEFINITELY ARE !!!!

Check out the pictures below, in particular item '14'.

I am totally pleased I think I may also have part of the main 'spigot' mechanism from a PIAT. Just needs more cleaning before I post it

Cheers

Steve T

Well done Steve!

?

Well done Sherlock, i mean Steve, with a bit of luck we might be able to find the firing tube plus the spring, wouldnt that be something

I've yet to find a piat tirgger, i rember seeing one lying on the surface i though to myself 'ha that's one of those piat tirggers' and i kicked it lol sometimes i do strange things

Quote by Whitehunter View Post
    I've yet to find a piat tirgger, i rember seeing one lying on the surface i though to myself 'ha that's one of those piat tirggers' and i kicked it lol sometimes i do strange things
    And next time we meet you'll have to excuse us if me and Dave do something strange as well, and greet you by kicking you up the arse !

Next thing we know you'll be leaving a whole bucket of finds behind. Oh wait.......

Steve T

Yet more finds cleaned up

You simply will NOT believe the condition of one of the magazines. Truly amazing considering how long it's been in the ground.

First up the 1907 pattern bayonet. Damn thing.........the end broke off when I was cleaning it. I'll stick it back together later this week

The head of the bayo.

A coup[le of sling buckles and what I believe to be part of the spigot from a PIAT.

A group shot of some Sten parts. I actually brought about 20 examples of each part home with me, and left more than 100 of each behind. These are the best examples of the ones cleaned. Note the intact Sten spring !

Butt plates

Lee-Enfield magazines.

Two different types here.....

Now for the item that is in remarkable condition. First up, as a comparison, a Bren mag recovered just above the one shown in the last photo.

Bren mag. Almost perfect condition. When dug, the one above was lying directly on top of this one which obviously afforded it a lot of protection from the effects of being buried for 60+ years. There's hardly any rust on it at all !!! Amazing.

Steve T

Cool, great finds Steve... gotta love the condition of the Bren mag, lovely.

?

Does the bottom slide detatch Steve or is it too rusted, you maybe lucky and be able to remove the spring, i was cleaning my Sten spring this morning, it was in great condition until the end double ring snapped off and my neighbour was shocked when she heard the entire extent of my grammatically correct swear words concerning a ladys nether regions, i must admit i was a little miffed

Nah. Rusted in place unfortunately.

A lady's nether regions ? What, you mean her pants drawer ? Don't see why that would upset your neighbour.

Steve T

WOW! that bren mag is amazing i can remeber you pulling it out

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast