Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

RRPG Group dig - British Army Dump - July 2011

Article about: by Steve T No idea what this is. Anyone help ? Attachment 221962 .. Looks like the bottom of on old cycle parafin lamp, the hole in the middle is where the wick would be Hangarman

Default Re: RRPG Group dig - British Army Dump - July 2011

That's come up a treat Andy Very nice

Steve T

Steve i used the dremel(wizzy drill) on those sten mags then i sprayed them will metal sealer

Good job on that pig stick andy looking alot better than it did

?

That piggy came up well Andy, that was a good find

I went to the dump today to recon a few areas to see if there were relics outside of the search area. After an exhaustive search, it became obvious that there were no real concentrations of relics, other than in the area already identified.

Whilst there, I had a quick rummage around and spent an hour or so digging away at one location.

I found something totally gobsmacking during this search, to the extent that I spent 5 minutes swearing profusely and disbelieving what I had found.

5 minutes later and I pulled out a packing case with two more of them in. The packing case was totally rusted through and not worth saving, so I pulled it apart to retrieve the items. The sides facing away from the wall of the container were in remarkable condition.

All I've got to do now is work out why the hell there were German 20mm Flak 30/37 magazines at a British army dump site.

Yep.

You read it right.

German 20mm Flak magazines !!!!!!!!

I'll post more pictures when I've cleaned them

I'm gobsmacked.....

Steve T

Now none of us seen that one coming!

Thanks

Danny

?

Your getting as bad as DM, for finding things German, oh by the way i dont know if you remember but i found what was initially identified by you as a possible 30mm gun barrel, im now thinking its possibly a Boyes barrel, i managed to get the rust away to a reasonable standard and you can now see right through its length, i hope im right as it might match your Boyes round and i think it might make an interesting addition to your collection, the next time i see you your quite welcome to if its right

Steve, Im not suprised at the large mags as the British used the same Orlikon based cannon. Remember the large mag follower posted earlier, I suspected it was from a Orlikon gun. The magazine was replaced by the drum in british use.

Dave, post a pic of the barrel and some dimensions and I'll compare it to mine.

p.s. Its called a Boys rifle rather than a Boyes rifle. It goes that a officer writing the manual didn't believe it could be a boys rifle so added a'E' to Boys to make Boyes. This was later corrected as it was named after Major Boys after his death. Prior to this, it was known as the Stanchion rifle.

I am Speachless...
    You guy's realy made a killing out there.
    All those Items in one single place...
    Will be looking forward to more pictures after clean-up.
    Keep'm coming

DM: I wont be much of help for ID'ing the Items, but I like the idea of the Boobyprize?
    Also found out what Jaffa cakes are, we know them as Pims and they come in a wide selection of flavors. You see I did my research. LOL

Cheers to all of you,
    Steven

Cool finds Steve T!!!

Regards

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast