Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

SD luft helmet with bailing wire found SEELOW HEIGHTS

Article about: Hi chaps this a helmet thats just landed and i thought i'd share my crappy pics with you ..I belive the owner has put vasolene to stop the rust failing off and he has placed a small piece of

Cool SD luft helmet with bailing wire found SEELOW HEIGHTS

Hi chaps this a helmet thats just landed and i thought i'd share my crappy pics with you ..I belive the owner has put vasolene to stop the rust failing off and he has placed a small piece of wire to hold 2 pieces together..i like this because it shows us that not all wire helmets were neatly done this was done in a hurry i think...let me know what you think...
    wayne
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD luft helmet with bailing wire found SEELOW HEIGHTS   SD luft helmet with bailing wire found SEELOW HEIGHTS  

SD luft helmet with bailing wire found SEELOW HEIGHTS   SD luft helmet with bailing wire found SEELOW HEIGHTS  

SD luft helmet with bailing wire found SEELOW HEIGHTS   SD luft helmet with bailing wire found SEELOW HEIGHTS  

?

Default Re: SD luft helmet with bailing wire found SEELOW HEIGHTS

Wayne we need some close ups to see if the wire has been on along time or has been added to enhance the lid !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I'll take outdoor pics at the weekend...
    wayne

pics taken with flash you can see it's all original
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD luft helmet with bailing wire found SEELOW HEIGHTS   SD luft helmet with bailing wire found SEELOW HEIGHTS  

What's the story behind this lid? Any proof it was actually found at the Seelow Heights? Is the helmet corroded, or does it have a thick zimmerit type camouflage?

Hi Gizmo i wish it was Zimmerit but i feel its just corroded and the previous owner has slapped on vasolene to stop it going any further..i've no proof execpt what the seller told me..i love it for what it is i'd rather it of been found in normandy but hey it's an original wire helmet thats good enough for me
    many thanks
    wayne

Quote by wj2373 View Post
    Hi Gizmo i wish it was Zimmerit but i feel its just corroded and the previous owner has slapped on vasolene to stop it going any further..i've no proof execpt what the seller told me..i love it for what it is i'd rather it of been found in normandy but hey it's an original wire helmet thats good enough for me
    many thanks
    wayne
    It's a nice looking relic regardless of where it came from!

With that being said, I always take the stories behind pieces of militaria, especially relic helmets, with a grain of salt. I've head countless stories of "oh this came from Stalingrad, that came from the D-Day beaches of Normandy" inorder to raise their value. Unless items come with concrete proof, I appreciate them only as a piece of history with a foggy past.

Thanks for sharing your lid with us!

nice lid mate always use the "guilty until proven innocent" with storys

tom

Nice helmet. With items like that, with the wire, I'd certainly be happy wherever it came from. Thanks for posting.

Very nice helmet and an interesting story.

Every now and and again, people ask me how much my relics are worth. 'Not alot on their own' I answer. However, take one of my relics like a Sten gun shroud and stock, say it was found just outside St Aubin Sur Mer and it goes from being worth a couple of quid to being worth up to £100. People will always up the ante on their relics to get the best price, with very VERY few being honest about where they found the relic, (me being one of them !!). So, all I'm saying is, take the stories with a pinch of salt and accept the relic for what it is.

Nice relic......wouldn't mind having it in my collection at all

Steve T