Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Somme 24th July 1916 Poizziere. Orville

Article about: Hi all.. I have been researching my uncles death during WW1.. He was in the 1/6th Battalion ,Gloucester Regiment , 48th Division. He lost his life with most of the 1/6th in a attack on the 2

Chris Collins
    ?

Default Somme 24th July 1916 Poizziere. Orville

Hi all..

I have been researching my uncles death during WW1.. He was in the 1/6th Battalion ,Gloucester Regiment , 48th Division.

He lost his life with most of the 1/6th in a attack on the 24th July 1916.. at or near Poizziere /Somme.

I have been a avid relic hunter mainly aviation orientated for over 20 years, But would really like to travel to Poizziere and hope to find some interesting finds. I ask you all, do any of you ever go to that area of france ,and wouldnt mind myself tagging along .
    I also would like to see his grave as no one in the family has EVER been to see it.. it would be somewhat a pilgramige . and lastly have any of you people ever found any finds in the "Orville -Poizziere area.. I would sure like to see them, and any advice would be a bonus..

I enclose some piccies of Various relics and finds I have found in the last cuple of years, the rusty shell is from a british "Armstrong Gun" they litter the foreshore near my home. the switch is from old RAF Yatesbury.Wilts . The Luger I bought, and was dug in Arromanches ,Normandy, the Instrument with "Outer" on it is part of a fuel flow meter, used in twin and four engined bombers in WW2, and a comparison photo of a complete one, this was found on the old scrapping site of a local airfield where hundreds of bombers were cut up for scrap in 48-49.
    and the plate in the mud is from a short stirling BIII that crashed near my home, this was just under the surface . I was chuffed to bit with it ..
    Many thanks all,
    Chris C
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Somme 24th July 1916 Poizziere. Orville   Somme 24th July 1916 Poizziere. Orville  

Somme 24th July 1916 Poizziere. Orville   Somme 24th July 1916 Poizziere. Orville  

Somme 24th July 1916 Poizziere. Orville   Somme 24th July 1916 Poizziere. Orville  

Default Re: Somme 24th July 1916 Poizziere. Orville

Great finds , i hope you get to go to the somme and see your uncles grave , hopefuly find some bits while your there , cheers Raymond

Hi Chris
    Nice relics you have there, and i hope you get to France to see the family grave.

I have been to Pozieres many time, and it is an awesome place to visit. The village and ridge was a 1st July objective for the 8th Division, the village was not taken until the 25th of July. The 1st and 2nd Australian Divisions respectively were the units which finally gained those objectives, whilst the Australian 4th Division later took Mouquet (Mucky to the British soldiers)Farm.

There were over 23,000 casualties in these actions

You should go to the site of the old windmill, where some of the bitterest fighting took place. The small area surrounding the original site has not been touched. A memorial for the troops that died.

Also "Gibraltar" A large fortification that was "lost" for over 70 years. Well worth a visit. The Tank memorial opposite the windmill, has interesting history. When the Germans retreated along that road in 1944, a large column of troops were "strafed" by some Typhoons. The bullet heads are still lodged in the memorial in about 5 different places. If you do got to see it, please leave them where they are. Not many people know they are there, and most people miss them.

As a foot note. I have sat in the British cemetery at midnight in Pozieres.........................and it is a very moving experience. I can recommend it

Nice relics you have there.

You need to check out the post in the Metal detector forum as the laws have changed in France and it is now far more risky looking for relics than ever before.

Don't get yourself arrested !

Steve T

?

I would be very carefull metal detecting around Pozieres if the locals see you you'll definately have the gendarmes breathing down your neck

Battlefield walking is allowed , metal detecting is a big no no due to the amount of bodies that are found and then stripped of badges , personal stuff etc etc.

I too have been to Pozieres many times in fact i was there last week but John has given you an excellent resume of the fighting there,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Chris Collins
    ?

Many thanks chaps.. I guess I wont be digging there after all then.. I will just keep my eyes open on ebay etc.. for some relics, being that firearms are my forte, and that I have a deactivated SMLE enfield 1916 dated.. I would hope one day to find the rusty remains of a Mauser G98 from this area , which I would put o the wall next to it as a reminder of my families history.. I am sure one will crop up sooner or later.. I have a nice piece i could do a trade with Battle of Britain orientated relic. any interested please PM me. I pose the question??. is there ANYWHERE on the continent now that allows detecting ???.. and is not covered by severe laws and red tape??. Belgium?.. Holland??.. or should I give up the ghost and just keep to the UK ??

In a word Chris NO. most countries frown upon detecting, unless you have permission i would not try it. I used to travel to the Somme region 10 times a year, just to "Field Walk". Who needs detectors when mother nature gives up the best without a fight.

Truth....................Everytime i went I found, by looking (hard sometimes) a rifle of sorts. Some were twisted bits of metal, and one i shoot now, so it is possible to find things without upsetting the locals. Just don't act like the typical English tourist out there. Show some respect. And speak their language! It helps. I made some terrific friends whilst i was there. and found some pretty amazing things

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.