Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 152 of 222 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 162 202 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 2215

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak

Article about: by Sebastien I have not the metal detector I am feeling my ass where to dig Right now I have eyes, hands, feet and my spade is all that I use in my hobby

February 2nd is the day of victory in Stalingrad ...
    in honor of the 72th anniversary of the Battle of Stalingrad, I want to talk about the heroism of one man is a close relative of my friend. Great-grandfather of my friend fought at Stalingrad. For his feats was awarded a very high order "The Red Banner"

Junior sergeant, Fyodor A. Sutchev , born in 1918.
    Squad leader of the 7th Rifle Company, 1155 th Rifle Regiment, 343 Rifle Division, 66th Army.

Below is a photo of his urkunde. There is a description of a feat.
    I am sorry for my English, but I tried to translate what is written there.

30.01.1943 near Stalingrad Tractor Factory. Fyodor Sutchev broke into the German bunker. He showed courage and bravery. Fyodor Sutchev in hand to hand combat killed six German soldiers.
    01.02.1943 in the same place. During the offensive aimed, Fyodor Sutchev was well-shot from a rifle, killed three German soldiers. And then during the German counter-offensive, Fyodor Sutchev in hand to hand combat killed two Germans soldiers.
    It was a war ...

More finds from bunker:

glass from the dining room "Red Army", was broken

sockets for light bulbs

Other

nice pics. thanks to share. one thing that i not underestand... why is so usual to find helmets?. the soldiers burried?
    sorry my bad english

?

Dear Sebastien,

I discovered your thread a couple of weeks ago and have been fascinated by your findings. I've been reading a great deal about Stalingrad over the past 3 months and your photos have helped me really understand what it must have looked like to the soldiers.

I also saw some of your posts asking for help finding maps, including maps from the Library of Congress.

I wonder if you have ever seen this website Stalingrad Assorted Maps

He has a fantastic collection available. He also include maps from the Library of Congress, though they are not as good as the Russian Tactical Maps he has.

?

Also I found this map Stalingrad Assorted Maps/Russian Tactical Maps/Maps 284 Rifle Division/0001

It mirrors the map you used identifying the machine gun location at the base of Mamayev Kurgan. You an almost guess at what Russian unit he was firing at!

?

Perhaps your machine gunner was a member of the 517 Infantry Regiment attacking on September 16-17???

Stalingrad Assorted Maps/Map Sketches/Stalingrad Mamajew Kurgan 16-17-Sep-1942

Interesting finds as always! If that chair is ww2 related I would have gently restored it (yes, normally I'd shudder too) for further usage --- would make a badass ww2 nut man cave chair "Stalingrad special"

?

Many thanks for the link to the maps . some very interesting ones of IV Armee Korps and in particular 29 Inf Div ( Mot) in which i am interestd in particular .

Andrey do you have any plans to explore the area around Karpowka ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Андрей,

I have spent many days reviewing this thread and have been very impressed. I love seeing what you find, and like many others I wish I could join you in your archaeology digs.

I have some questions:
    - I have been interested in excavation of El Alamein battlefield in Egypt, but there is a problem with large fields of mines (antipersonnel especially). Is that a problem in the Volgograd area?

- Have you ever been hassled or asked to leave any of your dig sites by local police or others? Is it common for diggers to be removed?

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Many thanks for the link to the maps . some very interesting ones of IV Armee Korps and in particular 29 Inf Div ( Mot) in which i am interestd in particular .

Andrey do you have any plans to explore the area around Karpowka ?
    Paul, I have never been near Karpovka.
    My friends have been there for several years ago. You could see the dog tag from the 71 mot Regiment
    There's a very evil the owner area, a farmer, Mr. Chunikhin ... he does not like diggers.