Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 30 of 222 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 80 130 ... LastLast

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak

Article about: by Sebastien I have not the metal detector I am feeling my ass where to dig Right now I have eyes, hands, feet and my spade is all that I use in my hobby

Default Re: Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak

Looks like (1) section of drive wheel (2) rear section of a gearbox transfer case and (3) section of backing plate of a brake drum housing, it looks like a slave cylinder in the top part of the second photo.

I'm not positive but after working on old cars for awhile a few years ago these photos look kind of familiar.

Glenn

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Looks like (1) section of drive wheel (2) rear section of a gearbox transfer case and (3) section of backing plate of a brake drum housing, it looks like a slave cylinder in the top part of the second photo.

I'm not positive but after working on old cars for awhile a few years ago these photos look kind of familiar.

Glenn
    Thank you so much!!!
    Maybe you have pictures where can see these details in good condition?

Hi Sebastien,

Your roadwheel is easy enough to get a photo of

Now what I think is part of the transfer case housing might be what i've circled here... hard to say without climbing underneath one of these things and having a look. Unfortunately most of the websites devoted to restoration of German halftracks seem to focus on the interior/exterior of the vehicle rather than the underbelly.

What I think is the inner brake drum plate I can't find any photos of. To be honest I don't know what the braking system was on these things but if it was a pair of brake shoes in a brake drum housing then I think what you've got is the plate that the 2 shoes pivot on with the slave cylinder on the opposite side pusing or releasing the shoes as controlled by the driver. Here's a diagram which I think bears some resemblence to your relic piece.

Hope I've been some help!

Glenn

Wow!!!

?

I think that this gear housing covers those gears:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

This gear housing from SdKfz-250 or SdKfz-251?

?

Wheel is from 251, so maybe also housing but i´m not sure.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Could also be from 24 Panzer Divison , previously 1 Kavalrie Divison , known as the Leaping Horseman !!
    Well there was no association whatsoever that I can find between Kav. Ers. Abt.11 and any of the units in the 1. Kavallerie-Division- all of which had their own specific replacement units- and since the disc seems to be very early, judging by the Stammrollennummer, it seems unlikely an untraceable transfer as replacements probably weren't being sent far and wide then. Plus with some good, demonstrable candidates for the field units, one that's a very outside chance isn't a much of a possibility.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

toadrobot
    ?

Ive had a bit of thought about this subject and the way I feel about it is: the artifacts are rusting and decomposing more all the time, and not doing anyone any good in the ground. Something good might as well come from war, this guy has a hobby, is showing us what we would not have seen if he had not dug it up, and he might as well make some money from it too. This is a good outcome for all of us I look for aircraft wrecks myself, and my personal policy is: if Im not going to actually display a piece where it will tell a story, I leave the artifact at the site, otherwise it just collects dust in my garage. And while at the site, artifacts often have paint on the downside - I take a look or a picture, but if it is not a piece I would put on my wall I leave it there for someone else to discover.

Continue ...
    These finds I dug up in early December, before the session at my university .
    If you know what is this things, then tell me please.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak   Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak   Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak   Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Page 30 of 222 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 80 130 ... LastLast