Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 39 of 222 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 139 ... LastLast

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak

Article about: by Sebastien I have not the metal detector I am feeling my ass where to dig Right now I have eyes, hands, feet and my spade is all that I use in my hobby

Default Re: Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak

It is really fair to say Romania got the short end of the stick in WWII, being attacked by USSR, and after changing sides not even getting their land back untill 1991.

Great finds Sebastien.

Quote by dradubuh001 View Post
    Hi again Sebastien,
    Here are the meanings for the lettering on a Romanian dog-tag:
    - C.R. stands for CENTRU DE RECRUTARE, i.e. the place where the soldier was drafted (recruited) from.
    - CTG (not CTR), stands for CONTINGENT, i.e. the year the soldier was recruited. This particular one shows 938 (i.e. 1938)
    - MATR. stands for MATRICOLA, that is for identification number.
    - REG means the REGIMENT where the soldier was from.
    Please let me know about any other clarification concerning Romanian Army's names, ranks, etc. I am a 2nd Lt. Armored Corps (reserve) myself.
    Cheers, Dan.
    Dear Dan,
    I am touched by your attention, really. I'll be very glad to cooperate with you, because I found a lot of Romanian military stuff.
    I'm glad that you did not accuse me and do not call me "plunderer of tombs". You know, I do not hide the found remains of soldiers. But all the Romanian dog tags I dug up without bodies.
    Regards!

Quote by Sebastien View Post
    Dear Dan,
    I am touched by your attention, really. I'll be very glad to cooperate with you, because I found a lot of Romanian military stuff.
    I'm glad that you did not accuse me and do not call me "plunderer of tombs". You know, I do not hide the found remains of soldiers. But all the Romanian dog tags I dug up without bodies.
    Regards!
    Dear Sebastien,

The world is these days an approximately free (more or less, as it can easily be seen) place, so one is approximately entitled to say or think whatever one wants. Don't sweat on it anyways. What you ultimately do is offer to people, if I can put it this way, pieces of untold or unlearned history. I know, from my personal experience, what it does mean to be banned from learning your people's true history, so I am 100% behind what you do. If you want, we could also discuss via private messages, no problem by me. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Best! Dan

True, to some extent. But, in order to stay in line with the historic truth, may it be noted that Romania was occupied by the advancing Soviet troops (by October 1944, the whole Romanian territory was under Soviet administration, one way or another). In fact, the Soviet army (2nd Ukrainian Front, Field Marshall Malinovski commanding) fought against us (e.g. the Romanians) until August 23rd, 1944, when Romania decided to drop the Axis and join the United Nations camp. Soviet troops remained in Romania until 1959 when they retired. I can offer some bibliographical references if needed. Cheers. Dan.

Quote by dradubuh001 View Post
    True, to some extent. But, in order to stay in line with the historic truth...
    ... I can offer some bibliographical references if needed. Cheers. Dan.
    Thank you. I am interested in the memoirs of Romanian soldiers and officers of the fighting in Stalingrad. (If you know then send to me PM)
    German memoirs about Stalingrad a lot, and the memoirs of Romanian soldiers are very few. Soon I will get in the mail the book:
    Fulga Laurenti (Laurentiu Fulga) "People without glory. " This novel is dedicated to events related to the time of surrender of the royal Romanian army at Stalingrad.

Here in the photo all the 15 Romanian dog tags that I dug up in the ravine next to my university. I know exactly that five dog tags of the 20 Romanian Infantry Division (the dog tags are circled in red).
    I'll dig more ..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Yesterday I visited to my friend. Sometimes I digging with him.
    I photographed his small collection of military items that he dug up.
    He has interesting stuff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak   Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak   Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak   Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Hi Sebastien, where did you get the book from, please? I was reviewing Laurentiu Fulga's writings and found no book by this title. Is it in English? The direct Romanian translation of the title (People Without Glory) does not appear anywhere. It is generally hard to find books about Stalingrad, that were written by Romanian veterans, because the whole "Stalingrad" subject was among those the communist regime did not want to speak about, let alone permitting veterans to write books and, even worse, publish them. After the 1989 "revolution", books about this painful moment in Romanian military history have started to be written, scarcely, but to my up-to-date knowledge no English translations are available. As you can easily imagine the books that made it to the printing house were sold in a matter of hours ... I will "dig" myself about these books and see what I could come up with.
    Cheers. Dan

Your friend is a lucky man too. Great findings
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Well, I'm sure I'm speaking for many in saying that the conviction and dedication shown here speaks volumes in support of the people that go out and find the relics and then the history behind them. I applaud you all.

Martyn.

Question Re: Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak

I need help, really!

My friend has an interesting item.
    Several years ago he dug up this item: the eagle and swastika (rune).
    Maybe you know what is it? For what this item?
    Thanks for answer!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak   Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Page 39 of 222 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 139 ... LastLast