Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Stone cannon balls?

Article about: I have several stone cannon balls found in the Great Miami river from the old Ft Hamilton OH. from the US indian wars. does any one know their value?

KEN RUTHERFORD
    ?

Default Re: Stone cannon balls?

I have several stone cannon balls found in the Great Miami river from the old Ft Hamilton OH. from the US indian wars. does any one know their value?

Hello this is one that I found near Oxford (England) 15 years ago.Stone cannon balls?Stone cannon balls?

That's more like it.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Here's mine, found in Aden, 16th Century Portugese. Dug up when building part of the docks.

Stone cannon balls?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stone cannon balls?   Stone cannon balls?  

Last edited by diver99; 09-05-2012 at 07:01 PM.

just a thought but althought they could well be cannon balls (im no expert) wouldnt ballista, catapult or trebuchet projectiles be another possible explaination, for the u.k atleast?

Regards Mad.ideas

Interesting thread. I have shot gravel from my cannon and found it is great for removing low shrubbery for about 50' in a cone pattern. It's a bit disturbing for my neighbors but they have gotten used to it over the years. I have also used soup cans full of cement or plaster when I want to see the impact. Usually I just make noise which is fun also. Kick Ass Cannon - YouTube

Thanks
    Burt

I have one in my garden in cyprus.Burt I bet the nieghbours love you!.

?

Default Round stone found

Quote by Reg View Post
    Hi Danny and other gentlemen

Err..right! I found grandads "cannonball" in the garden, as you can see from the pic its huge, not exactly spherical and seems to be made from local sandstone so probably not ideal in a projectile, (Ive placed a delicate ancient artifact next to it to help guage its size)

It has some gouges in it which probably came from being ploughed a good few times before, so I think its most likely a piece of ornimental masonary from when Mercaston hall was originally battered (The part with the priest hole still remains)

Ild still like to think it was a cannonball, but the ordinance to shift it from its supposed firing location at Weston Underwood, a good half mile or so, would have been massive.

So im sorry gents! hope to see a propper stone ball on here sometime.

Cheers
    Reg
    Hi , I found a round stone in my garden about 3 years ago whilst digging up a bush , Never really thought too much of it , But recently came across it again in our rockery , Looked up on line and it looks identical to some 15th century ones found some years ago, It's about 3" diameter , and very round

?

Hi , I found a very round stone some time ago in my garden whilst digging up a bush , It's about three and a half inches diameter , and very round like a ball , It looks identical to some i found on the in an internet search which were found some years ago , and sold for about £2000 each . I would show a photo , but have no idea how to on here .

Two grand each? What were they made of...,gold???
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast